Position Summary: The Senior Academic and Career Advisor shall provide high quality academic and career advising to student athletes; comprehensively monitor student academic success and transition; provide professional guidance, consultation and expertise related to career services, career development and related technology; serve as a career coach assisting students develop a personalized plan for the job search process; and develop and manage academic and career advising processes to ensure student success. Recruit, select, train and supervise student mentors.
Essential Functions of the Job:
1. Function: Provide a High Quality Advising Experience - Advise 70- 100 student athletes; meet weekly with members of assigned athletic teams regarding academic progress in each class, including performance on tests, quizzes, papers, attendance, etc.; serve as principal contact for all student athletes in assigned sports as pertains to academic advising; monitor AEP hours of assigned student athletes; monitor academic progress of assigned student athletes; ensure student satisfaction and success by meeting with students individually throughout the academic year; reviewing degree plans to assure students are progressing satisfactorily; and discussing academic and career development goals with students; advise students on academically related matters to include degree planning, selection of major (s) and minor (s), curricula and core requirements, course scheduling and sequencing, and arranging appropriate academic timelines leading to personal, academic and career goals and success; evaluate student academic background and qualifications, guide student decision making and make appropriate recommendations; recognize students with academic trouble, or personal challenges, or at risk and develop appropriate remedies and inform and/or refer to appropriate individuals and/or services. Monitor students at risk and develop plans to help them succeed; adhere to the concept of advising as a proactive initiative and a form of teaching; learn and implement student development theories and practices as they pertain to academic advising and develop and practice a consistent academic advising philosophy; celebrate student accomplishments, recognize student successes and personal triumphs and recommend students to scholarships and other awards; and spend at least 70% of your daily schedule on student to advisor relationships and contact. (55%)
2. Function: Develop and manage academic advising processes to ensure student success - Ensures that all Department of Athletics and University related activities operate in full compliance with university, conference and NCAA rules and regulations; attends and participates in scheduled compliance seminars and complies with all the Athletic Department’s efforts to monitor compliance with NCAA regulations; assist Compliance in certifying student athlete eligibility; ensures that access to tutoring services and other support services is facilitated and the number and quality of tutors is adequate; seeks interpretations from the compliance staff before acting when necessary; reports potential rules violations immediately; completes required compliance paperwork in a timely and efficient manner; monitors all of their areas and or programs activities closely to maintain compliance with applicable rules and regulations; occasionally travel with respective teams to proctor exams and hold AEP sessions; distribute and collect books and academic equipment (calculators, laptops, etc.); keep current with policies and procedures related to Academic Advising; process files, academic information, advanced placement credit information of incoming students; maintain written and/or electronic file narratives for future reference, reporting and tracking; develop a system to follow up with students after each visit except during heavy use cycles; process academic advising materials for new students and advise freshmen, transfer students, readmitted students and students returning from leaves of absence; participate in freshman registration; assist in graduation activities and review student records to determine graduates. Collect, interpret and report information necessary for the certification of seniors for graduation; respond to student, parent, faculty, colleagues, administration or other constituent inquiries by phone or email within 24 hours; using skills inventory instruments assess undecided student interests, aptitudes and abilities in order to assist in career and short and long term academic planning; develop and follow best practices in time management, variety of student contact methods, and problem solving; and maintain a daily schedule that allows students and staff maximum access to academic advising. (10%)
3. Function: Provide Career Services for Student Athletes - Develop career programs for CHAMPS/ Life Skills; facilitate resume building workshops; facilitate mock interviews; assist student-athletes with finding internships; and assist student athletes in developing after college plans. (5%)
4. Function: Recruit, Select, Train and Supervise Student Mentors - Recruit and select student athlete mentors and train and supervise student mentors. (5%)
5. Function: Continually improve academic advising skills and practices - Learn and implement best practices in Academic Advising; attend in house training sessions and meetings; read professional literature to stay current in the field; read at least one academic advising book per semester; seek opportunities for continual professional development; assist in training and mentoring academic advisors and support staff; learn about legal issues in Academic Advising; attain academic advising certificate through NACADA; develop the highest level of expertise in your specialized academic advising areas; develop high competence in general academic advising for student athletes; become the “Academic Advising Expert” in one area of academic advising; and develop expertise in utilizing academic advising technology tools. (5%)
6. Function: Referrals/Outreach/Partnerships - Assist Director processing summer school applications; meet with prospective student-athletes and their parents when they are on campus; assist Director of Student-Athlete Academic Services with semester 3.0 awards ceremony; assist with distributing and collecting textbooks; assist in graduation activities, including planning student-athlete graduation reception; attend events for assigned sports and student-athletes; serve as a liaison with the coaching staff for updates of academic progress; serve as a liaison between students and faculty/administration. Serve as a mediator to successfully resolve academic and other student-related issues; participates in outreach to prospective students and families during orientation, campus visits, recruitment events and individual meetings; work collaboratively with other campus resources and make referrals as appropriate; work cooperatively and productively with academic advising liaison in the assigned school/academic department to maintain current knowledge of programs/majors and academic policies and procedures; maintain regular contact with five faculty members in assigned school or department to keep current with curriculum and build or enhance relationships; participate in events sponsored by assigned schools or departments; work closely with assigned academic departments and respective offices on developing academic policies to ensure consistency in academic decision making; and assist with coordination and planning of student activities related to advising, new student orientation, commencement and other related programs. (5%)
7. Function: Committees, Work Standards and Perform other duties as requested or required, whether or not specifically mentioned in this job description - Participate in at least one Academic and Career Advising Committee; assist in staff selection and training; work with academic and career advising colleagues in a cooperative and productive manner to achieve the Academic and Career Advising Center goals and objectives; adhere to professional work expectations by showing up and ready to work by 8:30 am or assigned time, completing assignments on time or early, being present at meetings at least five minutes before the start of the meeting, completing paperwork and correspondence on a daily basis, actively participating in discussions, providing solutions to problems, taking a proactive and creative approach to work, ensuring a positive and productive work environment; and perform other duties as requested or required, whether or not specifically mentioned in this job description. (5%)
8. Function: NCAA Related: Ensures that all Department of Athletics and University related activities operate in full compliance with university, conference and NCAA rules and regulations. Attends and participates in scheduled compliance seminars and complies with all the Athletic Department’s efforts to monitor compliance with NCAA regulations. Seeks interpretations from the compliance staff before acting when necessary. Reports potential rules violations immediately. Completes required compliance paperwork in a timely and efficient manner. Monitors all of their areas and/or programs activities closely to maintain compliance with applicable rules and regulations. (10%)
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree and previous academic advising (or closely related experience) in an educational setting ORHigh School Diploma/Equivalent and 7 years’ academic advising experience (or closely related experience) in an educational setting.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES / COMPETENCIES TYPICALLY NEEDED TO PERFORM THIS JOB SUCCESSFULLY:
Ability to work evenings and weekends during special events, as needed.
Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Effective time management skills.
Great attention to details.
Ability to process and easily reference policies and regulations.
Ability to work with Academic and Career Services student databases and other information
technology and web programs.
Working knowledge of standard computer software such as office suite, email, etc. and ability
to learn and utilize specific software necessary for academic and career advising practice.
Ability and desire for continuous improvement and learning academic and career advising best
Ability to implement academic and career development practices.
Ability to motivate and inspire students.
In order to be considered for the position, candidates are required to apply for IRC29056 via the Tulane University employment website (https://jobs.tulane.edu/position/IRC29056). The position is OPEN UNTIL FILLED.
Please Note: Depending on your role and the department in which you work, you may be expected to adhere to COVID-19 requirements, such as vaccinations and booster shots.
Tulane University is committed to creating a community and culture that foster a sense of belonging for all. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We are intentionally seeking candidates who are committed to fostering equity, diversity, and inclusion in support of Tulane’s Strategy for Tomorrow.
Tulane University is responsible for providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the applicant screening process. If you need assistance in completing this application or during any phase of the interview process, please contact the Office of Human Resources & Institutional Equity by phone at 504-865-4748 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Founded in 1834, Tulane is one of the most highly regarded and selective independent research universities in the United States. A member of the prestigious Association of American Universities, we take pride in being a part of this select group of 62 universities with “pre-eminent programs of graduate and professional education and scholarly research.” Our schools and colleges offer undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees in the liberal arts, science and engineering, architecture, business, law, social work, medicine and public health and tropical medicine. With a seventeen-sport program that competes in the American Athletic Conference, Tulane Athletics is on the rise, boasting one of the oldest and most storied athletics programs in the Southeast, and indeed the nation.
Tulane University is an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged.