Assistant Athletic Director, Student-Athlete Support
Location: Binghamton, New York
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Operations - Academic Support
4 Year Degree
Internal Number: 159776
Budget title: Division I Assistant Athletic Director (SL-4)
Salary: Commensurate with experience
The Visions Center for Student-Athlete Excellence in the department of Intercollegiate Athletics at Binghamton University invites applications to fill the position of Assistant Athletic Director, Student- Athlete Support. This position reports to the Associate Director of Athletics-Student Services and NCAA Compliance. The selected candidate will manage all aspects of academic support for student-athletes on assigned teams, which may include men's and/or women's basketball, keep consistent and open communication with coaches and staff, and will have a thorough understanding of NCAA rules and regulations. The selected candidate will also work with student-athletes requiring individualized support and academic skill development and the student athlete tutoring/mentoring program.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Provide academic advisement, academic skill development and design individualized academic success plans for assigned sport programs and at-risk student-athletes. The primary function of this position is centered around academic support for the men's and/or women's basketball programs, and may include another sport program(s) as assigned, in addition to other selected student-athlete academic support assignments.
- Assist in the management of the tutoring and mentoring program, including direct oversight of all athletics department tutors and mentors. Execute weekly, monthly, and annual reporting responsibilities as required.
- Monitor student-athlete NCAA academic eligibility and progress towards degree requirements;
- Educate student-athletes on rules of eligibility and personal responsibility. Serve as a mentor to new student-athletes; schedule regular appointments and assist with developing daily and weekly academic objectives;
- Communicate with coaches and administrators of assigned teams through scheduled academic meetings and share detailed information (including appropriate intervention) regarding the ongoing academic progress of assigned student-athletes. Utilize standard reports to communicate student-athlete progress to appropriate constituents;
- Assist with the recruitment process during prospective student-athlete visits to campus for assigned sport programs and other prospective student-athletes as needed; Maintain regular communication with campus officials and administrators related to student-athlete academic matters. Make recommendations regarding improvement of programs and services.
- Become familiar with various University software programs; Banner, Student Records, ARMS, etc.
- Assist the supervisor in the delivery of services to student-athletes.
Visa Sponsorship is not available for this position
Bachelor's degree and two (2) years of professional work experience in a student services/academic advisement setting on a college campus.
Work experience that demonstrates genuine concern and interest for the welfare of student-athletes and the ability to work with a diverse student population.
Experience with NCAA Division I eligibility requirements and NCAA rules compliance.
Minimum of two (2) years of experience working in a related area such as advising, tutoring, or academic counseling.
Demonstrated work experience in learning assessment and developing and implementing individual academic success plans.
Demonstrated success in developing and implementing learning strategies and study skills.
A Master's degree in a related field and two (2) years of professional work experience in a student services environment within a Division I Intercollegiate Athletics department.
Experience working with academically under-prepared students, specifically student-athletes at the Division I level, with time management, organizational strategies, self-assessment, goal setting, and overall tracking of academic progress as a focus.
Excellent interpersonal, decision-making, problem solving and teamwork skills in an academic setting.
Demonstrates the ability to work with students, coaches, and administrators in a broad range of situations.
About Binghamton University:
Binghamton University is a world-class institution that unites more than 130 broadly interdisciplinary educational programs with some of the most vibrant research in the nation. Our unique character - shaped by outstanding academics, facilities and community life - promotes extraordinary student success.
Binghamton merges rigorous academics, distinguished faculty and state-of-the-art facilities to engage and challenge its 18,000 students. The high-achieving Binghamton student body also represents a great diversity of life experiences, from first-generation college-goers to international students. Beyond their talent, these classmates share a desire to shape the future through technology, insight, intellectual exploration and community service.