Lehigh University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Lehigh University provides comprehensive benefits including partner benefits.
The Assistant Coach provides leadership and direction to all facets of the Rowing program in advancing the mission of the University and Department of Athletics. Specific areas of responsibility include sport specific coaching, recruitment, student-athlete development, program administration and program advancement yielding agreed upon results. All activities shall be conducted within the policies and resource framework of the University, the Athletics Department, the Patriot League and the NCAA. The Lehigh community takes seriously our commitment to antiracism and The Principles of our Equitable Community.
1. Student-athlete development *Develop student-athletes with counseling, advising, educating and motivating *Develop student-athletes through inspiration, discipline and rewards *Monitor, evaluate and retain student-athletes *Assist in team building and character development with student-athletes
2. Coaching *Assist in planning practices, training sessions, team and individual conditioning, line-ups and competitive strategies *Assist in instruction and demonstration of techniques and skills *Assist in evaluating and assessing, effectiveness and results *Assist in adapting and refining strategies *Communicate with athletes and team on a regular basis
3. Recruiting *Provide leadership to the planning and execution of the recruitment program for rowing by identifying, attracting and selecting prospects *Collaborate with the head coach in evaluating prospects (athletically, commitment, character, etc.) through high school visits, at competitions and/or home visits *Promote Lehigh through communicating with prospects and families *Assist in coordinating recruitment strategies, calendar and procedures *Assist in yielding Student prospects
4. Program administration *Assist in planning and evaluating program results, status and priorities *Assist in preparing and managing annual program budgets *Assist in supervising, managing and evaluating personnel *Assist in evaluating prospective members of the Coaching Staff *Assist in scheduling competitions and/or planning tournaments in coordination with appropriate administrator *Comply with NCAA, League and institutional rules *Utilize technology to achieve efficiencies and productivity
5. Advancement *Assist in promoting strong public and media relations *Assist in promoting strong alumni relations through newsletters, fundraising support, and/or alumni games and gatherings *Assist in promoting strong parent relations, community relations and professional relations *Assist in fulfilling a commitment to service (Departmental, Institutional and professional)
6. Results *Assist in achieving competitive success within the Conference *Assist in achieving academic success across the team *Assist in graduating student athletes at a rate equal to or above the University rate *Assist in realizing personal growth and development in every student-athlete *Assist in promoting recognition of student-athletes
Grade: 8 - 40
Position Number: S82580
The duties of the position do not allow for a remote work option; the employee in this position will be required to work on campus where they can be fully accessible to the Lehigh community.
This position works with minors
Variable shifts/schedule; often works nights and weekends
Will often be required to sit, stand, walk, use hands to touch, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl and lift up to 25 pounds
Bachelor's Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience; Master's degree preferred
NCAA Certification required; CPR/First Aid certification required
One to three years related work experience
Supervisory experience preferred
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Ability to build, foster and maintain positive professional relationships
Solid writing ability, attention to detail and organizational skills
Solid computer skills with experience using word processing, spreadsheet and database software
Successful completion of standard background checks including but not limited to: social security verification, education verification, national criminal background checks, motor vehicle checks, PATCH, FBI fingerprinting, Child Abuse Clearance and credit history based upon the requirements of the position
All Lehigh faculty and staff are required to be fully vaccinated and receive a booster shot six months after their second vaccine; unless they receive an approved medical or religious exemption from the requirement.
Only complete applications will be considered therefore please complete the application in its entirety. Once the posting is removed from the website applications may no longer be allowed to be completed.