The position provides the recognition, prevention and rehabilitation of injuries for 22 NCAA Division I athletic teams. The Assistant Athletic Trainer reports directly to the Head Athletic Trainer. The position of the Assistant Athletic Trainer is a 12 month salaried position. Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Some of the major responsibilities include:
1. Provides comprehensive medical services to athletic teams as assigned by the Head Athletic Trainer for men and women in the major areas as outlined by the NATA.
Prevention of athletic injuries/illnesses. Recognition and evaluation of athletic injuries/illness and medical referrals. Management/treatment and disposition of athletic injuries/illnesses. Rehabilitation and conditioning of injuries/illnesses. 2. Organization and administration of Athletic Training programs.
3. Education and counseling of student athletes.
4. Assist the Head Athletic Trainer in the supervision of practices and games for both men's and women's NCAA Division I athletic teams. This position is primarily responsible for the coverage of home and away practice and contests as delegated by the Head Athletic Trainer.
5. Assist the Head Athletic Trainer in confirming that all student athletes have medical insurance.
6. Assist the Head Athletic Trainer in developing and implementing emergency transportation procedures for athletic injuries/illnesses.
7. Assist the Head Athletic Trainer to recruit, teach and assign student workers and intern students.
8. Communicate and work with Team Physicians regarding student athlete injuries.
9. Assist the Head Athletic Trainer in arranging and administering physical examinations.
10. Assist the Head Athletic Trainer in maintaining an up to date EMR of all injuries and rehabilitation. Provide updates on the progress and status of injured athletes to head coaches and the athletic director as needed.
11. Attend all practices and contests of sports as assigned by the Head Athletic Trainer.
12. Travel with sports teams as assigned by the Head Athletic Trainer.
Job Requirements: Education, Experience and Skills:
Be NATA certified. Have a Bachelor’s degree; a Master’s degree in a related field and experience at the college level is preferred. Have CPR certification. Maryland State Licensure eligible. Two years’ experience as a certified athletic trainer preferred. Salary/Benefits This is a full-time position with full benefits and annual, holiday and sick leave. The university offers a generous benefits package, including tuition remission for graduate and undergraduate classes at Mount St. Mary’s University, retirement program with a match as well as a generous paid time off schedule. Competitive salary commensurate to experience.
Minor tasks may include:
1. Assist the Head Athletic Trainer in purchasing, budgeting and maintenance of supplies and equipment for the athletic training facility.
2. Attend all athletic department meetings as assigned.
3. Assist in maintaining a clean environment in the training room.
4. Provide adequate emergency supplies and water for all games.
5. Required attendance at NATA Annual Convention and maintain accreditation with the NATA.
6. Assist in other duties as assigned by the Head Athletic Trainer and/or Athletic Director.
Mount St. Mary's University is a dynamic, catholic, Liberal Arts University with over 2,000 undergraduate and graduate students. As a Catholic university, Mount St. Mary’s graduates ethical leaders who are inspired by a passion for learning and lead lives of significance in service to God and others. The University has a strong institutional commitment to excellence through diversity in its educational programs and employment practices; we actively seek and welcome applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world.