Job Summary The Associate Head Coach for Track & Field/Women’s Triathlon is responsible for providing ethical leadership in managing all aspects of competitive NCAA Division III Women’s and Men’s Track & Field and Women’s Triathlon programs including, but not limited to, recruitment and retention of academically and athletically qualified student-athletes and preparing student-athletes for success through practice planning, strategy development, and skill instruction.
• Promote Franciscan ideals and adherence to the Mission of the University as demonstrated by the University Ideal Characteristics. As we are an equal opportunity employer committed to Franciscan values, all employees share responsibility for advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the performance of their roles while demonstrating: service orientation, respect for all, intellectual curiosity, solution focus and innovation, and mutual accountability.
• Assist the Director of Track & Field in the design, implementation, and execution of a comprehensive recruiting strategy and plan that will identify, recruit, and retain academically and athletically qualified student-athletes in accordance with all university admissions standards and procedures; meet or exceed annual established recruiting goals.
• Ensure commitment to the academic success of the student-athletes, including monitoring academic progress and attendance and involving appropriate academic support resources when necessary.
• Foster a positive environment where student-athletes can learn, grow, and reach their potential; serve as a mentor, advisor, positive role model, and exemplar of good character and integrity; monitor discipline and conduct of student-athletes to foster personal growth and ensure adherence to community standards and appropriate codes of conduct/expectations.
• Maintain appropriate records and paperwork and ensure program (head coach, assistant coaches, student-athletes, etc.) compliance with all university, Middle Atlantic Conference (MAC) and NCAA policies, rules, and regulations.
• Design and implement a formal communication plan that includes regular meetings with student-athletes.
• Seek out volunteer service opportunities for student-athletes to aid in reaching personal, program, and departmental goals.
• Assist Director of Track & Field with planning, preparation, and implementation of collegiate and high school competitions.
• Work with the Director of Track & Field for budget/purchasing planning to ensure a balanced budget annually.
• Commitment to the mission statement, core values, and goals of Alvernia University.
• Bachelor’s degree and successful experience as a student-athlete and/or coach is required. College head coaching experience is preferred.
• A demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with student-athletes, coaches, athletic trainers, and athletic administration. Commitment to be a good colleague and team player.
• Demonstrated problem-solving, strong leadership, communication, organizational, and team-building skills/capabilities; ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks/projects in a fast-paced environment.
• Commitment to fostering a positive student-athlete experience where safety, health, and well-being of student-athletes is paramount.
About Alvernia University
Alvernia is a co-educational Catholic Franciscan institution dedicated to academic and professional leadership based in the liberal arts tradition. Its suburban 121-acre campus outside Reading is within a ninety-minute drive to New York, Princeton, and Philadelphia. Alvernia University is committed to equal opportunity. Applicants who would enrich the diversity of our campus are encouraged to apply. An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer