The University of Texas Permian Basin invites applicants for the position of Assistant Coach of Women’s Soccer for Athletics.
REPORTS TO: Head Coach of Women’s Soccer
SALARY RANGE: $35,000.00 to $40,000.00, depending upon qualifications.
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES: The Assistant Coach of Women’s Soccer under the general direction of the Head Coach is responsible to assist with the management of a competitive NCAA Division II athletic program; assists with conditioning, practices, recruiting, travel arrangements, and student managers.
SPECIFIC TASKS AND DUTIES: 1. Promotes the philosophy and objectives of the intercollegiate athletics program, to include adhering to all Departmental policies and procedures, as well as the rules and regulations of UTPB, the NCAA, Lone Star Conference and those set forth by The University of Texas System and State of Texas.
2. In conjunction with the Head Coach, plans and executes a successful program that would include duties such as: conducting regular team practice sessions; coaching the student-athletes; evaluating the student-athletes performance in practice and competition; monitoring the conditioning and training of student-athletes, advises and counsels student-athletes regarding their obligations to comply with all rules and regulations related to financial aid and eligibility, as well as personal conduct and appearance. Work with Head Coach in the coordination of team academics. In the absence of the Head Coach, represents the program during practices and games.
3. Arranges the recruiting functions including off- and on-campus visits, evaluations, and contacts, and documents all activities as required per NCAA rules. Engages in all aspects of opponent scouting including breaking down film into manageable clips for student-athletes to view.
4. Schedules and supervise individual student-athlete workouts.
5. Participates in public relations activities, as approved, to include granting interviews with newspaper, radio, and television media. Coordinates and implements approved fundraising activities.
6. Ensures that necessary athletic equipment is available and in proper condition for scheduled practices and competition and makes recommendations for repairs or replacement, as necessary.
7. Participates in clinics, exhibitions, and camps, as approved. Attends coaches’ preparatory meetings and implements strategies resulting from these meetings.
8. Performs administrative tasks such as scheduling, travel arrangements, budget preparation and monitoring, and maintaining statistics. May be required to drive athletes to/from events in a 12-person van. Must provide a written detailed account annually for all athletically related income and benefits earned from sources outside the institution, per NCAA bylaws.
The above statements are not a complete list of all responsibilities and duties performed by employees in this job. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned by the Head Coach.
SCHEDULE: This is an exempt position, as an exempt employee, your schedule may vary based on the number of hours needed to meet the job responsibilities. The individual holding this position may need to be available early morning, evening, and weekends to meet the needs of the Athletics Department.
The University offers an excellent compensation package which includes a broad range of employee benefits including free health insurance (employee only) as well as a generous retirement program. We invite you to learn more at www.utpb.edu.
1. Bachelor’s degree is required.
2. Have knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations pertaining to the recruitment and retention of student-athletes.
3. Possesses an unencumbered driver’s license and the ability to travel.
4. Able to successfully pass a criminal background check.
In this position, the incumbent would be expected to:
1. Handle highly confidential material, understanding that all University information should only be disclosed to others who have a need to know, for legitimate business or educational reasons. Have the ability to exercise and apply sound judgment and decision-making skills as well as the ability to maintain integrity and confidentiality of data.
2. Act with honesty and sportsmanship at all times so that intercollegiate athletics as a whole, the University, and the individual, represent the honor and dignity of fair play and the generally recognized high standards associated with wholesome competitive sports.
3. Have a solid knowledge of NCAA regulations and guidelines governing the recruitment and retention of student-athletes and skill in budget preparation and management. Must possess the ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce safety procedures and have knowledge and understanding of all aspects of the specified sports program. Remains current on relevant college athletics regulations and guidelines
4. Hold a valid CPR and First Aid certification as well as specific sport-required certifications as identified by the Athletic Director and NCAA guidelines.
5. Successfully recruit and retain student-athletes. Make public appearances on behalf of the University as well as create substantial support for the program through ambitious marketing and community service efforts.
6. Monitor the physical, emotional and social welfare of student-athletes and to ensure the establishment of a safe environment while at the University. Assist in monitoring academic achievement of team members by regular communication with the Academic Support staff.
7. Have the ability to lead and guide student-athletes in their area of specialty. Anticipate problems, critical issues, and opportunities as they arise and advise the Head Coach and Athletic Director accordingly.
8. Possess exemplary customer skills, including dealing effectively with the students, faculty, staff, and general public both in person and over the telephone. Demonstrates understanding and sensitivity to the needs of all prospective as well as current students.
9. Possess excellent writing skills and the demonstrated ability to develop written reports and action plans. Good organizational, oral, and recruiting skills are needed.
10. Work effectively, decisively, and flexibly in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. Ability to identify problems and to propose feasible solutions. Strong organizational skills and the ability to work well under pressure and to meet deadlines.
11. Have knowledge of Microsoft Office and have the self-motivation and the ability to stay current with emerging technologies.
12. Travel with the team and monitor the conduct of student-athletes.
13. Accept and provide effective supervision, assignments, change, and correction.
14. Engage in meaningful and intentional professional development appropriate for areas of responsibility.
15. Carry out all responsibilities and objectives in a professional manner.
16. Maintain professionalism when dealing with all staff and other customers while fostering positive working relationships.
17. Accept and render constructive criticism in a professional manner.
18. Adhere to the policies and procedures established by the Texas Board of Regents, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, and the University of Texas Permian Basin.
Prior coaching experience or a minimum of two years working in a campus or athletic environment or as a collegiate athlete is preferred.
Physical strength/endurance to enable him/her to perform/participate in the following activities:
1. Physically able to lift various materials up to 50 pounds on an occasional basis.
2. While performing required job tasks, physically able to remain seated, frequently to continuously.
3. Frequent walking, standing, and other physical activities will be required 100% of the time.
4. Possesses dexterity abilities required to perform typing, operate a computer and other office equipment.
5. Must be able to tolerate exposure to indoor/outdoor environment/climate changes.
6. Flexibility to work long, irregular hours to include evening, weekend, and holiday hours.
7. Possesses a valid driver’s license and able to drive a 12-person van long distances.
8. Availability for extensive team travels locally and nationally.
Internal Number: S434P
About The University of Texas Permian Basin
The University of Texas Permian Basin will be an innovative, responsive university that thinks large and lives local. We will lead in advancing education, research, economic competitiveness, and cultural enrichment.
As a regional, comprehensive institution, The University of Texas Permian Basin serves a diverse community of students from the region, the state, and beyond. Through excellence in student-centered teaching, learning, research, and public service, the University cultivates engaged citizens and impacts lives while advancing the technology and public interests of West Texas.
The University aspires to be a vibrant, student-focused center of excellence for learning, culture, and economic development—preparing students for leadership and success in a complex and changing world.
From experimental beginnings, UT Permian Basin has grown and keeps growing in nearly every direction:
Almost 7,000 students are enrolled from every corner of the globe.
Our beautiful campus boasts a world-class performing arts center and modern apartment-style housing.
More than 40 student organizations keep student life vibrant and engaging.
Our alumni enjoy great successes soo...n after graduation:70% of UTPB pre-med students get into medical school (25 points higher than the statewide average)
100% pass the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam (20% higher than the national average)
Even though UTPB has grown, we’ve worked hard to provide the most affordable world-class education in West Texas.
The Permian Basin is one of the fastest-growing, culturally vibrant, economically invigorated regions of the country – full of industry, culture, and wide-open spaces. At the academic heart of this area sits The University of Texas Permian Basin – which every year, delivers smart, savvy leaders across the U.S. UT is an affordable, modern school that thinks large and lives local.