Coaching, Coaching - Cross Country, Coaching - Track & Field
REPORTS TO: DIRECTOR OF ATHLETICS STATUS: FULL-TIME, EXEMPT
Lake Erie College, located in Painesville, OH, invites applications for the position of Head Coach, Men’s and Women’s Track & Field/Cross Country. The coach is responsible for duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics and should exhibit general knowledge in all events.
Lake Erie College is an NCAA Division II program that competes in the Great Midwest Athletic Conference (G-MAC). Recent successes within the program include individual national qualifiers, All-Americans, and National Champions as well as top 20 national team finishes in indoor and outdoor track & field. Teams train at the world-renowned SPIRE Institute.
• Serves as recruiter for the sports of Track & Field and Cross Country, identifying and evaluating potential students with that interest and organizing their recruitment in conjunction with the Office of Admissions.
• Provides excellent leadership, organization and development of coaching staff.
• Organizes, in conjunction with the Director of Athletics, all aspects of the Track & Field and Cross Country program, including facility, meet, practice and operational issues.
• Acts as a visible person to represent the College in a positive manner and to heighten the awareness of the institution to all of its constituents.
• Establishes a culture of compliance and cooperation with administrative officers and sports medicine staff.
• Follows all institutional and NCAA regulations regarding recruiting and operations of designated sport in particular and athletics in general.
• Develops and executes team fundraising efforts and builds successful relations with alumni.
• Responsibly manages operating budget.
• Creates and manages an academic plan for respective student-athletes.
• Administers community service and engagement programs with student-athletes.
• Projects and promotes the highest standards for student actions in order to best prepare them as solid citizens and alumni.
• Other duties as assigned by the director of athletics.
Must have demonstrated ability to recruit prospective student-athletes.
Knowledge and specialization in intercollegiate coaching preferred.
Must have strong team building and management skills.
Must have ability to work across academic and administrative departments in a cooperative manner.
Must possess strong written and verbal communication skills.
Must have demonstrated experience in program development, management, and leadership.
Ability to supervise regular and temporary staff as well as understand the student-athletes' commitment to academics.
Professional network within Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania preferred.
Previous head coaching experience preferred.
Qualified applicants will have the availability to work evenings and weekends, possess a valid driver’s license and insurable driving record, and the ability to travel for team practices, competition, and recruiting.
Under NCAA Bylaw 11.1.6 Sports-Safety Training, each head coach and all other coaches who are employed full time at an institution shall maintain current certification in first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR,) and automatic external defibrillator (AED) use.
Qualified candidates should submit a letter of interest, resume and three professional references either (1) via email to email@example.com, (2) online at www.lec.edu/employment-at-lec or (3) to Head Coach, Men’s & Women’s Track & Field/Cross Country Search, Lake Erie College, 391 W. Washington St., LEC Box 358, Painesville, OH 44077. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Subject to a criminal background check prior to employment. EOE
As one of the oldest institutions of higher learning in Ohio’s Western Reserve, Lake Erie College is proud of its long heritage. From its start as a female seminary, in the Mount Holyoke style, to the coeducational institution it is today, the College has been a leader in higher education for over 160 years. Offering both undergraduate and graduate degrees, the College fosters an environment of engagement, empowerment and self-evaluation in a diverse world, for both students and employees. We offer a rich menu of employee benefits in retirement, health, education and more, affirming the value we place in our employees.
Lake Erie College provides an excellent, inclusive, and highly personalized education grounded in the liberal arts tradition. Guided by hope and care, our students are empowered to lead lives of personal significance and professional success as global citizens.
About Lake Erie College
Lake Erie College, founded in 1856, provides distinctive undergraduate and graduate programs grounded in the liberal arts. We empower students to deal with the diversity, complexity and change necessary to excel in the 21st century. We offer 35 undergraduate majors and master’s programs in business administration, education and physician assistant studies. Our students compete in 17 NCAA Division II varsity sports and on three intercollegiate equestrian teams.