The Director manages and directs all aspects of coaching Division III Outdoor Track & Field and Cross Country intercollegiate programs, with primary focus on recruiting, team skills development, conditioning and related activities; traditional and non-traditional-season practices and contests; recruitment of talented student-athletes; supervision of the Head Cross Country Coach; and general management of the program. The Director shall operate within the guidelines of William Peace University and its affiliations and the Department of Athletics and work closely and effectively with athletics administrators in a positive and professional manner. The Director will assist with department special events and administrative duties, including assisting with home game management; communicate effectively with students, faculty, administration, staff and alumni; be responsible for budget management, and administer team travel. The Director will abide by all NCAA, USA South, and William Peace University guidelines and regulations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting to the Associate Director of Athletics, in addition to the duties noted in the summary, the individual is responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Perform planning, organization, and execution for coaching duties and direct practice sessions and competitions.
- Function in game day organization and assignments.
- Perform recruiting activities in accordance with department goals and expectations of the sport as assigned by the Associate Director of Athletics to meet the objectives of the university and team, including the evaluation, contact, and establishment of relationships with prospective student-athletes and coaches.
- Meet annual recruiting goals for Men’s and Women’s Cross Country and Men’s and Women’s Track and Field.
- Supervise Head Cross Country Coach and promote consistency of training as runners’ transition from Cross Country to Track and Field.
- Limit program attrition and maintain stable roster through retention of student-athletes.
- Attend staff meetings as scheduled by the department.
- Develop team expectations and policies.
- Assume responsibility for supervision, instruction, and direction of student-athletes.
- Develop, support, abide by, and enforce all academic guidelines and policies of the university, athletics department, and program to ensure academic progress of the student-athlete.
- Support and work cooperatively with Sports Medicine/Athletic Training, Strength and Conditioning, Equipment, Student Life, Life Skills, NCAA Compliance, Media Relations etc. in accordance with department policies and procedures.
- Direct all administrative functions of the program and be fiscally responsible.
- Perform duties with professional conduct and with a commitment to student-athlete well-being.
- Abide by all written policies, procedures, and guidelines of William Peace University, the Department of Athletics, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), and all applicable conferences or associations.
- Attend phone, virtual, and in-person meetings held by USA South Conference.
- Build quality relationships and work collaboratively and professionally with Athletics, Pacer Club and University staff, students, and all constituencies and stakeholders.
- Be available to make appearances, perform media interviews and speaking engagements, and support WPU Pacer Club activities representing the program and WPU athletics.
- Manage on and off campus equipment during practices and home sporting events.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree and two years of relevant successful experience. Valid NC driver’s license or ability to obtain within six months. Availability to work evenings and weekends and to travel overnight.
Master’s Degree in Exercise and Sports Science, Physical Education, Sports Management or other related field with collegiate coaching experience.
Internal Number: 142
About William Peace University
William Peace University is a nationally-ranked, award-winning institution located in one of the best cities in the United States in downtown Raleigh, NC. WPU provides a culture that values diversity, fosters an energized team environment, builds on our strengths, promotes creativity and innovation, and encourages inclusiveness, respect, and open communication by leading with our actions. Our mission is to prepare our students for careers in the organizations of tomorrow. The ideal candidate will have the ability to embrace the five core values, mission, and vision of William Peace University. Join our team and see why William Peace University was voted one of the Triangle’s Best Places to Work in 2017! Follow your passion and make an impact at WPU.