Assist in the overall instruction and training of student-athletes under NCAA operating bylaws, including the recruitment of new student-athletes, strength and conditioning, ongoing assessment of student-athlete abilities, and academic advising.
1. Develop game/practice plans and communicate both verbally and in writing with current and potential students on various academic and social issues, etc. Provide verbal and written instruction to student-athletes on sport-specific skills and game-related tactics in one-on-one, small group, and large group sessions (i.e., during games, on-field practices and video review sessions). Comply with and uphold NCAA rules and guidelines and complete all necessary documentation.
2. Within guidelines issued by the athletic department, the Hockey East Conference, and the NCAA, perform work related to the recruitment and retention of student-athletes. Assess the abilities of potential student-athletes and make recommendations to the Head Coach for acceptance to the College. Such work requires exercise of independent judgment in scouting potential student-athletes.
3. Assess student-athletes’ ability to effectively apply sport-specific skills and game-related tactics in game or practice situations subsequent to instruction by head or assistant coach(es).
4. Develop, implement, and monitor a conditioning program for student athletes. Counsel injured student-athletes and assist in and monitor their recovery.
5. Serve as direct liaison to the Office of Academic Services and partner with that office to advise student-athletes on academic issues. Counsel student-athletes on decisions regarding academic standing and academic problems.
6. Initiate fundraising efforts and public relation initiatives through contact with alumni and parents of student-athletes.
7. As needed, arrange for the procurement or purchase of needed equipment or services to support the training and education of student-athletes.
1. Maintain a working knowledge of “best practices” in regard to sport-specific skills, game related tactics, and physical fitness concepts through attendance at coaching seminars and from instructional materials, both written and video.
2. Perform all other duties as may be required.
Education and Experience Required: • Bachelor’s Degree in related field from an accredited institution required • Significant intercollegiate playing and coaching experience in sport required • Excellent oral and written communication skills required • First aid and CPR Certification preferred
About Providence College
Providence College, a primarily undergraduate, liberal arts, Catholic institution of higher education conducted under the auspices of the Dominican Friars, seeks candidates who can affirm and contribute to its mission. The College is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive environment that supports all of its students, faculty, and staff. All members of the community share a responsibility for creating, maintaining, and developing a learning experience valuing differences and practicing inclusion. We invite applications from qualified individuals who possess the experience, knowledge, and commitment to work within a diverse learning environment. Women and minority candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Providence College is an equal opportunity employer.