The Ohio Valley Conference is seeking an experienced and knowledgeable professional to serve as the Assistant Commissioner for Sports Administration and Championships, which is a senior-level position within the Conference Office’s reporting structure.
Responsibilities: The Assistant Commissioner for Sports Administration and Championships shall serve as a primary contact for the OVC membership regarding Conference sports administration and championships for several Olympic sports. Additionally, this person shall assist the Assistant Commissioner for Institutional Services with providing rules compliance support.
Specific duties will include, but are not limited to:
• Serving as the primary sport administrator for several Olympic sports. In this role, the staff member will be expected to serve as the primary contact for the various coaches’ groups and manage the coaches’ meetings. The staff member shall be responsible for monitoring national issues in the assigned sports and help establish the strategic direction to promote sports growth.
• Developing playing schedules in a variety of Olympic sports.
• Serving as the staff liaison overseeing the officiating program in assigned sports.
• Serving as the Conference’s primary contact for the coordination and purchase of participant gifts and awards.
• Coordinating and managing the Conference’s merchandise sale program, which includes purchasing the merchandise and coordinating sales from both the online store and the championships sites.
• Ensuring Conference policies and regulations pertaining to sports administration are managed through the OVC’s governance process and kept current in the Conference’s manual.
• Serving as the Conference’s Tournament Director for the OVC Championships in assigned sports.
• Serving as the Assistant Tournament Director for the OVC Men’s and Women’s Basketball Championships. In this role, the staff member can anticipate coordinating the assignment of volunteers, merchandise sales, practice activities, and pregame and half-time activities.
• Depending on experience and background, the staff member should anticipate serving as a secondary contact for the membership with NCAA and OVC rules interpretations and other compliance related-duties; and
• Other duties as necessary.
For consideration for this position, candidates must hold a bachelor’s degree, but a post-secondary degree is strongly preferred. Candidates should have a minimum of four years of previous intercollegiate athletics sports administration experience. Candidates should have familiarity with the NCAA and Division I rules and championships policies. Candidates must be able to travel for extended periods and spend weekends involved in championship administration. The ideal candidate will have outstanding verbal and written communication skills. Candidates should be committed to ensuring the OVC provides its student-athletes with an exemplary championships experience and be committed to the OVC’s focus on managing its intercollegiate athletics programs with integrity.
Submission of materials: Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, a resume presenting qualifications for the position, salary requirements, and three professional references using the NCAA Market site or sending materials to Resumes@ovc.org. For full consideration, all application materials should be submitted by June 1, 2021. The Ohio Valley Conference offers equal opportunity in employment and encourages candidates with diverse backgrounds to apply.
Additional Salary Information: Competitive salary with benefits based on background and experience.
About The Ohio Valley Conference
The Ohio Valley Conference is the nation's eighth oldest Division I athletic conference. The conference is comprised of 10 member institutions located in a four state region.