Job Summary Plans and directs the activities of athletic team; directs conditioning of student athletes to achieve maximum athletic performance; assess players' skills and assigns team positions; evaluates own and opposition team capabilities to determine game strategy; coaches or directs coaches to instruct players in techniques of game; directs recruitment and retention of student athletes. Has an extensive knowledge of the sport and knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations.
Responsibilities 1. Plans and directs the activities of athletic team
2. Responsible for the direction and development of a nationally competitive athletic program at Kennesaw State University
3. Performs a variety of functions including, but not limited to, the following: recruitment, coaching, budget management, purchasing equipment and uniforms, scheduling of games and practices, public relations and fundraising
4. Responsible for the academic achievement, retention and graduation of each student-athlete on the roster
5. Assumes a leadership role in department-wide priorities and initiatives
6. Supervises a coaching staff consisting of assistant coaches and graduate assistant(s), as allowed by the NCAA and KSU budget
7. Organizes, supervises, coordinates, and employs sound coaching techniques and practices
8. Participates in university and Department of Athletics events as required.
9. Has a thorough knowledge of and commitment to compliance with all NCAA, Atlantic Sun Conference, State of Georgia and university policies, rules and regulations
10. Prepares student-athletes physically, mentally, and emotionally to compete for Conference Championships and post-season competition.
11. Creates an atmosphere favorable to the ethical, academic and athletic development of student-athletes.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities • Extensive knowledge of the sport coaching
• Knowledge of NCAA rules/regulations.
• Demonstrated ability and success with an intercollegiate athletic program
• Evidence of successful recruitment of student-athletes
• Ability to organize and motivate student-athletes to achieve maximum performance level in sports, as well as in academics.
• Ability to serve as a spokesperson for the intercollegiate athletic program
• Maintains an effective professional working relationship with student-athletes, faculty, staff, administrators, alumni and the public
• Able to handle multiple tasks or projects at one time meeting assigned deadlines
• Excellent interpersonal, initiative, teamwork, problem solving, independent judgment, organization, communication (verbal and written), time management, project management and presentation skills
• Proficient with computer applications and programs associated with the position (i.e. Microsoft Office suite)
• Strong attention to detail and follow up skills
• Strong customer service skills and phone and e-mail etiquette
Educational Requirements Bachelor's from an accredited institution of higher education or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience
Other Required Qualifications Current, valid, and unrestricted Georgia driver's license
Required Experience Four (4) years collegiate and/or professional coaching experience with previous experience in a supervisory role
Internal Number: Job ID225403
About Kennesaw State University Athletic Association
Kennesaw State University (KSU), the third-largest university in the University System of Georgia, is a comprehensive university with expanding undergraduate and graduate programs in Kennesaw, Georgia, one of metropolitan Atlanta's burgeoning northwest suburban communities.Founded in 1963, Kennesaw State is located in Cobb County on a beautifully landscaped and pedestrian-friendly campus of 240 acres within easy access of Interstate 75 and the northwest quadrant of Georgia. Nearly 40,000 commuter and residential students, including more than 1,700 from 136 countries, pursue their undergraduate and graduate studies at Kennesaw State. The student body is a mix of traditional and nontraditional students with an average age of 26. Approximately 20 percent of students are members of ethnic minorities.Kennesaw State students can choose majors from more than 60 bachelor's and master's degree programs, including undergraduate degrees in education, health, business, the humanities, the arts, science and math. Graduate degree programs are offered in professional concentrations including nursing, business, information systems, conflict management, education and professional writing. KSU has ...continued to expand its graduate programs by adding a new Doctorate of Education in Leadership for Learning in 2006 - the first doctorate in the university's history. The Kennesaw State Owls compete in the Atlantic Sun Conference in NCAA Division I intercollegiate athletics, enjoying the first full season as a Division I member in 2005-06. KSU has won more than five team championships since joining the NCAA during the 1994-95 school year, with numerous appearances at national championships dating back to KSU's days as a member of the NAIA. KSU won NCAA titles in men's basketball (2004) and women's soccer (2003). The former was the first NCAA basketball crown ever won by a Georgia college or university.