William & Mary, a selective public liberal arts university in Williamsburg, VA, seeks an inspiring and experienced leader to serve as our next Director of Athletics (AD). After a recent period of transformation and renewal, we seek an insightful professional who approaches change as opportunity while weighing challenges fairly, frankly, and with integrity. Under the interim directorship of Dr. Jeremy Martin, with guidance by W&M Athletics staff, coaches, and staunch support from alumni and friends, William & Mary is in a strong position to make progress in key areas that include: ensuring equity, financial sustainability, competitive success and flourishing for all sports programs. Reporting to the President, the AD provides the vision and leadership required for W&M to attract outstanding student-athletes and to ensure their fullest development as human beings and competitors. As a key member of the president’s senior team, working to advance William & Mary’s mission, the next AD will bring a track record of collaboration with university leaders, and broad experience applicable to current and future transformations facing the NCAA Division I mid-majors. The AD is responsible for the daily operations and strategic planning for the department and its approximately 500 student athletes and 120 coaches and staff, with oversight of an annual operating budget of nearly $30 million. Operational responsibilities include oversight of academic support, compliance, facilities, sports medicine and performance training, as well as fundraising, marketing, ticketing, strategic communications and media relations. William & Mary is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer; we encourage applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
1. Leadership Style & Role: a. Ensures the Athletics Department consistently delivers on university mission: to graduate broadly educated, service-minded human beings. b. Excels at gaining buy-in and getting high quality, timely results. c. Gifted mentor, revels in the success of others.
2. Problem Solving & Analytic Ability: a. Uses good judgement always, driven to excel on behalf of the university. b. Swift to anticipate and analyze complex systems and share those insights with others in an effective way.
3. Management Experience: a. Record of successful oversight of complex planning, player and coach development, and budgeting efforts. b. Understands the Athletics Department as a core part of a learning organization that drives, as well as partners, in its success.
4. Planning & Strategy: a. Demonstrated experience defining strategic goals that are internally- and externally-facing and gaining buy-in from those inside and outside the organization. b. Fosters a culture of data-gathering, data-tracking, and critical analysis of data in his/her team and the department as a whole.
5. Public Presence: a. Builds community at home institution and beyond. b. Great EQ that reads the room effectively and communicates respect to all.
6. Communications Style & Skills: a. Core values and stakes are always clear in the individual’s communication. b. Reputation for care and skill in communicating about process, to keep multiple constituencies appropriately aware of complex undertakings as they unfold.
7. Communications Style & Skills: a. Core values and stakes are always clear in the individual’s communication. b. Reputation for care and skill in communicating about process, to keep multiple constituencies appropriately aware of complex undertakings as they unfold.