James Madison University, a Division I Member of the NCAA and Colonial Athletic Association, is seeking an Assistant Director of Athletics Communications.
This is a full-time, classified exempt salary position with full university benefits. Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background investigation.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Assisting the Athletics Communications staff with promoting the student-athlete experience at JMU as it relates to coverage of 18 Division I sport programs with an emphasis on digital and social media.
- Serving as the primary communications contact for women’s basketball, cross country, track and field and field hockey.
- Leading coordinator for JMU’s end-of-year student-athlete recognition program, the JMA Awards (James Madison Athletics Awards).
- Sport duties include being responsible for social media, creative and web content, game notes, statistics and media relations. Emphasis is placed on constantly-evolving strategies and methods for content and promotion of an athletics program in the current digital age.
- Working in a team-oriented and collaborative environment with coaches, other athletics staff and external constituents and within the construct of overall departmental communication strategies for all sport programs.
- Providing assistance in numerous other sports and ensure compliance with all relevant institutional, CAA, NCAA rules.
Experience in an intercollegiate or professional sports team’s communications office with student assistant or internship experience being acceptable as part of the experience. Applicants must also possess excellent writing and editing ability; knowledge of AP Style; graphic design (Photoshop) experience; desktop publishing (InDesign) experience and knowledge of various web software programs, game operations and various Stat Crew statistical programs. Additional experience with Premier Pro, After Affects or other design software could be helpful but is not required. Candidates must be highly motivated, energetic and be able to manage a work schedule that includes some weekend work. A bachelor’s degree is preferred.
James Madison University is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status.