Norfolk State University, NSU is seeking applicants for the position of Athletics Academic Coordinator within the Department of Athletics. NSU is a NCAA Division I-FCS institution with 15 sports and approximately 300 student-athletes. The athletics programs compete in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC).
The successful candidate will join the department’s academic support staff and report to the Assistant Athletics Director for Academic Support and assist with the day-to-day operations of NSU’s Athletics Academic Support program. The incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
1. Coordinates academic support for individual members of assigned teams.
2. Provides academic counseling and support for student-athletes to ensure they are meeting NCAA, University and conference requirements for successful progress towards degree.
3. Evaluates transcripts of incoming freshmen and transfer student-athletes to determine eligibility, monitors class attendance, develops course schedules to ensure successful academic progress, prepares progress reports, and monitors study hall.
4. Assists with the athletics department’s Summer Bridge program, Spartan Youth Club activities, and SAAC activities.
5. Performs other duties as assigned.
EEO STATEMENT NSU is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all persons and applicants, without regard to age, color, disability, gender, national origin, political affiliation, genetic information, race, religion, sexual orientation, sex (including pregnancy) or veteran status. NSU encourages and invites minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
1. Working knowledge of intercollegiate athletics.
2. Working knowledge and experience with academic advising.
3. One year (1) year of experience as a graduate assistant in an athletics academic support program or experience in teaching, or academic advising in a university setting.
4. Ability to travel during non-traditional hours.
5. Demonstrated ability to communicate to a diverse audience, both verbally and in writing with emphasis applied to a commitment to diversity.
6. Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite programs.
7. Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, in counseling, education, student development, athletic administration or related field, or equivalent combination of education and training that provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities.
1. Two or more years’ of experience as an academic coordinator/academic advisor in a college/university setting.
2. Working knowledge of GradesFirst or other advising software.
3. Working knowledge of NCAA Bylaw 14.
4. Membership in N4A.
5. Master’s degree from an accredited institution, in counseling, education, student development, athletic administration or related field, or equivalent combination of education and training that provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities.
1. Candidates may show interest by submitting, in its entirety online, an application and all required application material.
2. Applicant is solely responsible for ensuring application and material thoroughly reflects their knowledge, skills, and abilities, as it relates to the advertised qualifications.
3. A complete application, including all previous employment, salary history, and education, for full consideration, must be received online by 11:59PM of the “Job Close Date.”
4. Applicants who list “see resume” or “see Curriculum Vitae” in lieu of completing the application may miss the opportunity for full consideration.
5. NSU conducts background checks on all candidates identified as finalist for employment. The type of background check(s) performed is dependent upon the type of position for which you have been identified as a finalist, which may include: criminal history, sex offender registry checks, reference checks, degree validation, driving records, license verification, credit history review. The results of background checks are made available to University employing officials. You will be required to sign an Authorization to release form.
Internal Number: FA-260
About Norfolk State University
Norfolk State University, Department of Athletics, 700 Park Avenue, Norfolk, VA 23504