Sports Medicine, Sports Medicine - Athletic Training
James Madison University, a Division I Member of the NCAA and Colonial Athletic Association, is seeking an Assistant Athletic Trainer reporting to the Associate AD for Integrated Health and Sports Performance/ Director of Sports Medicine. This position is a full-time, 12-month position with a full comprehensive benefits package. The Assistant Athletic Trainer will work under the supervision of the Associate AD for Integrated Health and Sports Performance/ Director of Sports Medicine and JMU Team Physicians and performs athletic training duties that help ensure the health and safety of the student-athletes. The selected candidate will be expected to maintain a high level of communication, outstanding interpersonal skills and professionalism as a member of the JMU Sports Medicine Staff. The ability to work and function as a member of the health care team is essential.
Sport assignment is TBD but will be with one of our Olympic sport programs. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Providing and coordinating a high level of athletic healthcare services to athletic teams as assigned to include the prevention, evaluation, clinical management, treatment and short- and long-term rehabilitation of injuries
- Ensuring emergency readiness at all practices and events in accordance with the JMU Emergency Action Plan
- Engaging in effective written and oral communication with members of the coaching staff, athletic administration, sports medicine staff and Integrated Health and Sports Performance Unit
- Assisting with the scheduling, organization and completion of student-athlete pre-participation physical examinations
- Coordinating timely referrals and communicating with the JMU Team Physicians regarding student-athlete injuries and medical conditions and plan of care
- Providing onsite coverage for practices, games, and summer conditioning for assigned teams; travel with assigned teams when necessary
- Maintaining accurate and up-to-date medical records on all student-athletes in a timely, efficient and confidential manner
- Counseling and educating student-athletes regarding their injuries and treatment plans
- Serving as a clinical preceptor to athletic training undergraduate students enrolled in our CAATE Athletic Training Program
- Contributing to a team effort by practicing effective communication and by welcoming new and different work requirements and exploring new opportunities to enhance the services of the Sports Medicine Department.
Candidates must have a master’s degree; hold BOC certification, have a Virginia license to practice Athletic Training or be eligible for licensure; 2 years of minimum experience as a certified athletic trainer required; CPR and AED certified and the ability to effectively communicate with multiple parties within the athletics department and campus community. Preference will be given to candidates with the following qualifications: 2 years NCAA Division I experience as a certified athletic trainer, demonstrated leadership experience; experience managing healthcare needs for Track and Field, Swimming, or Tennis preferred; experience as an approved clinical preceptor and supervision of athletic training students enrolled in a CAATE Athletic Training program. The successful candidate will ensure compliance with all relevant institutional, CAA, NCAA, and Commonwealth of Virginia regulations.
James Madison University is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status.