This Athletic Academic Advisor position assists in the academic advising program for student-athletes involved in several sports at the Division 1 level. The responsibilities include academic advising, tracking NCAA, Big Sky Conference and PSU athletic eligibility, overseeing student-athlete study halls, coordinating class schedules, and monitoring students’ academic progress.
This position requires sensitivity to and understanding of the barriers faced by student-athletes from diverse populations. The position requires an ability to individually counsel students to formulate an academic plan based on an exploration and understanding of their own goals, skills, values, strengths and weaknesses in conjunction with the academic curriculum and co-curricular opportunities.
- BS/BA with 1-3 years of related experience.
- Ability to articulate PSU requirements, policies & procedures and National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and Big Sky Conference rules and regulations.
- Ability to analyze, synthesize and explain complex requirements and regulations/policies. Ability to counsel students in decision-making processes related to setting personal goals.
- Ability to work with diverse populations, communicate effectively, and make appropriate referrals to campus resources and services.
- Ability to use Banner/Student Information Systems (SIS) and other computer programs.
- Ability to make public presentations (e.g. presentations for new students, classroom presentations, workshops for students and parents on NCAA Eligibility).
- Ability to work as part of a team; ability to work with multiple institutions and the varying policies, rules, and regulations that guide them.
- Ability to coordinate activities and events either individually or in collaboration with other units or institutions.
- State-issued driver’s license.
- Successful completion of a background check.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Preference will be given to educational training in counseling, higher administration, and/or a related field.
About Portland State University
As part of the Oregon University System, Portland State University's vision is to enhance recognition of the value of higher education by continually strengthening the metropolitan environment and utilizing that strength for its own growth toward standards of excellence in accessible high quality research, teaching and outreach programs. As a microcosm of the global society, the metropolitan environment becomes a laboratory for Portland State in this vision. It is the vision of a university that will set the standard for institutions located in an urban setting.