Sports Medicine, Sports Medicine - Athletic Training
The Director of Sports Medicine is responsible for the administration and supervision of the sports medicine program and the sports medicine facilities. In partnership with the team physicians, the Director of Sports Medicine provides comprehensive organization and management of the healthcare provided to the student-athletes.
- Direct and supervise the sports medicine department, including development of policies and procedures that support the vision and mission of the department.
- Manage performance and hiring of sports medicine staff, including full-time trainers, graduate assistants and student staff.
- Serve as main liaison between sports medicine staff and team physicians, doctors and coaches. Oversee physicians’ on-sight clinics and coordinate physicians’ visits.
- Supervise the daily prevention and rehabilitation program for student-athletes and consult with team physicians to ensure that proper evaluation, treatment and rehabilitation takes place.
- Assign sports medicine coverage for all sports, including the coverage of all team practices and home/road contests.
- Prepare and administer annual operating budget for sports medicine and oversee purchase and procurement of medical supplies, equipment and technologies.
- Maintain detailed medical record keeping for all athletic injuries and illnesses. These should include, but not be limited to, injury reports, treatment records and insurance forms in accordance with HIPAA regulations.
- Oversee processing insurance claims athletic injuries for student-athletes. Review and approve all medical bills from physicians, hospitals and other healthcare providers to determine accuracy and compliance with NCAA rules and regulations.
- Coordinate pre-participation procedures and paperwork with University Health Services, Associate Athletics Director for NCAA Compliance and coaches.
- Administer blood-borne pathogen training and CPR/AED/First Aid training for all members of the coaching and administrative staff.
- Act as coordinator for University and NCAA-sanctioned drug testing. This includes, but is not limited to, facility scheduling and setup, student-athlete notification, and communication with the Center for Drug Free Sport.
- Develop and maintain a policy and procedure manual for sports medicine department.
- Oversee maintenance of the sports medicine facility. This includes, but not limited to, regular safety and calibrating of all modalities, daily sterilization of surfaces and equipment, and laundering and reconditioning of reusable supplies.
- Implement the emergency medical plan for the Athletic Department. Educate all members of the coaching staff and supervising administrative staff on details of this plan and their role in executing the plan.
- Work with the strength and conditioning coach when special requirements are necessary for a student-athlete in the progressive rehabilitation of any athletic injury.
- Participate in required continuing education to keep abreast of the latest techniques in the sports medicine field and to keep current with all required state and federal standards.
- Other duties as assigned.
Interested applicants should send their resume with a cover letter and list of references to email@example.com. Please indicate the following number in the subject line to ensure proper delivery: Search #19-13A.
The University of New Haven is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Master’s degree required; Five (5) years progressive leadership experience in collegiate athletic training setting; Certification by the National Athletic Trainers’ Association (NATA) Board of Certification; Connecticut State Athletic Training License (or ability to obtain); Professional CPR/AED and First Aid Certified; Knowledge and understanding of medical insurance and billing; Strong organizational skills; Knowledge of NCAA Division II rules and regulations; Excellent organizational, written and oral communication skills; Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to network across a multifaceted university community required.
Internal Number: 19-13A
About University of New Haven
Founded on the Yale campus in 1920, the University of New Haven is a private, coeducational university situated on the coast of southern New England. It’s a diverse and vibrant community of 7,000 students, with campuses across the country and around the world.