Function: Under the direction of the Director of Athletics this coach develops and implements all facets of the Men’s Lacrosse Program at Gordon College. The level of responsibility includes not only areas specific to the sport, but also a responsibility to the holistic well-being of the participants. The outcomes of the program will be measured not only by the conventional means of measuring athletic success, but also by the ability of the coach to fulfill the mission of the college. This will be demonstrated by the mentoring of student-athletes to develop the wisdom and maturity necessary for positive citizenship and Christian leadership.
Description of Duties and Tasks:
1.Develops a successful, Christ-centered program, including a highly competitive, championship-driven team, a well-developed academic support structure, as well as significant spiritual mentoring of the young men who participate.
2. Recruits athletes who fit and contribute to the mission of Gordon College and of the department. This requires attending Admissions-related functions, significant correspondence to inquiries and travel to watch prospective applicants.
3.Directs and supervises all aspects of the Men’s Lacrosse program, including organization and direction of team practices, game coaching, and other duties appropriate to the program.
4.Develops, in conjunction with the facilities coordinator, a practice schedule and facilities use calendar.
5.Participates in professional activities and associations of other college Men’s Lacrosse coaches.
6.Develops and maintains discipline within the Men’s Lacrosse program.
7.Manages the Men’s Lacrosse budget and inventory with integrity.
8. Schedules games for the Men’s Lacrosse program in conjunction with the scheduling coordinator within the guidelines of the NCAA, the CCC, and Gordon College.
9. Runs a minimum of one week of summer camp to raise revenue for the program.
10.Involved in game management for other sports as part of the out-of-season schedule.
11. Must submit a year-end report annually which summarizes the past season highlights and goals accomplished. Format will be directed by the Director of Athletics.
Departmental and Community Duties
1.Develops and maintains a professional and active relationship with co-workers, faculty and staff, administration, alumni, friends of the college, and trustees.
2.Participates in the life of the Gordon College community.
3.Communicates with the Director of Athletic Communication/Sports Information Director to make sure that all public relations responsibilities are covered, including statistical reporting.
4.Coordinates and attends department meetings and functions.
5.Meets monthly with the Athletic Director for long-term planning purposes.
6.Monitor the academic progress of the Men’s Lacrosse team.
7.Knowledgeable of, and adheres to, the rules and regulations of the NCAA Division III and the Commonwealth Coast Conference.
8.Works within the framework of the rules and regulations of Gordon College.
Supervisory Responsibilities 1. Recruits and supervises strong assistant coaches and volunteers to run a multi-faceted Men’s Lacrosse program. The overall competitive success of our program will be driven in part by the quality and diversity of our assistant coaches within each specialized area. All assistant coaches must be approved by the Athletic Director.
2. Monitors the Strength and Conditioning program for the department to ensure quality of program design and execution.
Budgetary Authority and Responsibility
1.Has authority and responsibility in regard to the Men’s Lacrosse program, as well as any associated camps, clinics, inventories or activities in that sport, if any.
1.Performs other ad hoc duties as assigned by the Athletic Director.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
In order to fully perform the above functions, the incumbent must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities, or demonstrate that the major responsibilities of the job can be accomplished, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some combination of skills and abilities.
1. Must profess faith in Jesus Christ as Lord; must accept Gordon’s Statement of Faith; must practice Christian values in daily interactions with students, faculty, staff, and the public as outlined by Gordon’s Statement of Life and Conduct; and must work to advance Gordon’s mission through this position.
2. A bachelor's degree is required, and a master's degree is preferred. Past experience in coaching at the NCAA Division III level is preferred but not required.
3. Effective leadership skills and motivational abilities with highly successful mentoring experiences.
4. Understanding and appreciation of Christian liberal arts higher education.
5. Ability to be a team player with the athletic department and the institution.
6. Strong desire to work with and relate to student-athletes.
7. Sound administrative ability with emphasis on organization.
8. Effective communication skills, both written and verbal.
9. Positive style of leadership.
10. Since coaching involves highly irregular hours, the coaches will have flexibility in determining normal and consistent work hours. A weekly schedule of office hours, practices, games, and other activities should be available to the Athletic Director. Coaching often requires taxing physical activity, so maintenance of appropriate fitness levels should be achieved.
11. Familiar with basic computer operations, and able to use common office equipment.
12. Ability to operate specialized software for sports administration is desirable.
13. Will participate in goal-setting exercises with the Athletic Director at the beginning of each academic year, with an evaluation of the achievement of those goals each spring. The evaluations may also be reviewed by the VP for Student Life.
About Gordon College
Gordon College in Wenham, Massachusetts, is among the premier Christian liberal arts colleges in the country. Gordon offers excellent academics, a strong sense of community and an atmosphere of open intellectual inquiry and personal responsibility - all within the framework of Christian faith.Gordon College is located in a classic New England town on Boston's North Shore.