Under supervision of the Director of Athletics and Head Track and Field Coach, the Assistant Track and Field Coach will be responsible for assisting in all facets of the Men’s and Women’s Cross Country and Track & Field programs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES The assistant track and field coach will be responsible for assisting the head coach with recruiting, planning and implementing practice schedules and routines, fundraising, student-athlete development, and administrative duties.
• Recruiting (20%) — Recruiting will entail scouting and contacting prospective student-athletes, maintaining contact with possible student-athletes and providing a professional opinion on scholarships directed towards student-athletes, as well as, other recruiting-related duties as assigned by the head coach.
• Practice Schedule Support (30%) — Planning and implementing practice schedules and routines will entail supervision of student-athletes during practice time, planning practices (workouts, conditioning, technique work, warm ups, etc.) and directing student-athletes to appropriate practice times based upon the student-athletes schedule, as well as other practice-related duties as assigned by the head coach.
• Fundraising (20%) — Fundraising will entail identifying effective fundraising strategies, coordinating student-athletes (if needed) and planning and implementing cost effective fundraising strategies, as well as other fundraising duties in coordination with, and as assigned by the head coach.
• Student-athlete development (20%) — Student-athlete development will entail personalizing workouts to meet the needs of the student-athlete in question, in the case of injury, disability or identified need. Student-athlete development will also include non-sport related development activities, such as study tables, team-bonding activities or community involvement activities, as well as other developmental activities assigned by the head coach.
• Administrative (10%) — Administrative duties will entail pre-meet paperwork, purchasing orders and card invoices, CARA forms, and other administrative duties as assigned by the head coach. Administrative duties also include attendance at monthly staff meetings, compliance meetings and committee meetings, as required.
Bachelor’s degree and experience in coaching and/or competing in distance running and track and field events. Thorough knowledge of institutional, NCAA and Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference rules, policies and regulations required.
Preference will be given to candidates that self-identify as a female and/or an ethnic minority including American Indian or Alaska Native (not Hispanic or Latino), Asian (not Hispanic or Latino), Black or African American (not Hispanic or Latino), Hispanic or Latino, or Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander.
About Lake Superior State University
Lake Superior State University is a publicly funded, autonomous state university operated under the control of an eight-member board of trustees, who are appointed to eight-year terms by the governor.LSSU Mission StatementOur mission at Lake Superior State University is to help students develop their full potential. We launch students on paths to rewarding careers and productive, satisfying lives. We serve the regional, state, national and global communities by contributing to the growth, dissemination, and application of knowledge.LSSU Vision StatementOur programs grow and evolve in ways that keep our graduates at the cutting edge of technological and societal advances. As such, we will be viewed by our constituents as:The preferred regional choice for students who seek a quality education which provides a competitive edge in an evolving job market.An institution where relevant concepts are taught by quality faculty, and are paired with practical real-world experience to provide a well-rounded education.An institution which capitalizes on its location to instill graduates with an understanding of environmental issues and an overarching desire to be responsible stewards of the envi...ronment.A University that is highly student centered and empowers all students to realize their highest individual potential.