This position, under the direction of the Head Softball Coach, independently performs and is responsible for (1) assisting the Head Coach in the coordination of a safe, enthusiastic, growing women’s Softball program, (2) the recruitment, supervision, and coaching of NAIA (National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics) softball athletes, under the guidelines of the college, KCAC (Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference) and NAIA policies and procedures, and (3) working with all staff to provide a quality program and encourage student athletes in both athletic excellence and good sportsmanship.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: *Assists in the administration of all phases of a NAIA softball program including recruiting qualified student athletes.
* Assists in formulate the team’s competitive schedule.
* Assist in organizing and training athletes for successful and safe competition.
* Keep abreast of current trends and methods by participating in clinics, workshops, etc. that contribute to professional development and self-improvement.
* Adhere to college, KCAC and NAIA policies and procedures.
* Foster cooperative working relationships with immediate supervisor as well as any staff or team members associated with the program.
* Cooperate with other coaches in providing the optimum sports program possible under existing conditions.
* Assist in preparing timely and accurate documents i.e. travel expense statements, itineraries, etc.
* Take the initiative to provide new ideas and concepts to improve the efficiency and productivity of the staff.
* Support the athletic department’s goals and philosophies.
* Assist in monitoring and supporting the academic success of student athletes.
* Assist in planning and conducting pre- and post-season conditioning and training programs.
* Help prepare and manage records for the team.
* Assist in arranging team travel and meals.
* Assist in overseeing the safety conditions of the facility or area in which the sport is conducted at all times.
* Assist in coordinating visits by recruits and their families.
* Assist in general upkeep and protection of equipment under the jurisdiction of the program.
* Carry out other related administrative duties as directed by the Head Coach.
* Participate in team meetings, providing input and suggestions.
* Assist with statistics, story writing, media relations, social media accounts, and website updating for the Sports Information Director.
* Assist in providing continual evaluation of processes and procedures. Responsible for suggesting methods to improve area operations, efficiency and service to both internal and external customers.
* Work in collaboration and cooperation with other departments and academic divisions on campus, using timely and appropriate judgment in upward communication regarding department concerns and responsibilities.
* Regular and satisfactory attendance and punctuality.
* Perform all other duties as assigned.
* The statements contained herein describe the scope of the responsibility and essential functions of this position, but should not be considered to be an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other areas to cover absences or relief to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance the workload.
* Bachelor’s degree required. * Successful acceptance into a master’s degree program. * Up to 12 hours of graduate school classes will be reimbursed at $333 per credit hour per year. * Good communication skills, organized, and able to perform multiple tasks simultaneously. * Ability to communicate effectively to a variety of audiences, including students, parents, faculty, staff, alumni, administration, and the community-at-large. * Ability to handle multiple projects/assignments concurrently and be very results-oriented. * Highly motivated and works well both independently and in a team environment.
About Bethany College
• Bethany College aims to be celebrated as a college dedicated to student success and community transformation. Over the past two years, under the leadership of President Will Jones and the college’s Cabinet, the College has initiated the Good Life Scholarship (a four-year, full-tuition scholarship for local students in our home community), and launched Swedes to Sweden (a free service-learning trip to Sweden for all sophomores who start as a freshman at Bethany). Bethany enjoys a diverse student body from more than 35 states and 25 countries. In addition, the college serves students from diverse economic backgrounds, including more than one-third of our students who demonstrate full-need on the FAFSA and nearly 50 percent who are Pell Grant recipients.