In collaboration with head coaches and athletic administrative staff, assistant coach will engage in player skill development, practice planning, identification and recruitment of athletically and academically qualified student-athletes, scouting opponents, managing team travel, organizing program fundraising and community service activities and maintaining parent and alumni communication. Coaches will demonstrate commitment to the W&L philosophy by emphasizing academic priorities for student-athletes as well as the importance of good citizenship on and off the playing field.
* Recruits quality prospective student-athletes and ensures timely submission of their academic records for admissions.
* Plans coaching and practice sessions in accordance with Conference and university regulations.
* Coaches team members individually and in groups, and demonstrates game techniques. Manages designated skill development areas or groups of positions. Develops and recommends strategy, teaches theoretical skill and position assignments.
* Monitor the purchase of uniforms, equipment and supplies, including accountability for expense control and administration of the sport’s budget.
* Promotes the athletic program and specific sport through community events, public speaking, fundraising, and marketing.
* Ensures compliance with all Association, Conference, and University rules by athletes and supporting staff.
* Mentors and advises students on personal health, strength training, and nutrition. Focuses attention on student athlete conduct and coaches appropriate behavior to support the image and reputation of the athletics program.
* Teaches physical education courses as required for student graduation criteria.
* Communicates consistently with head-coaches, administration, and peers about program goals, status, and needs.
* Other duties as assigned.
A bachelor’s degree and collegiate playing experience is preferred. Must be committed to a philosophy that emphasizes academic priorities for student-athletes as well as the importance of good citizenship on and off the playing field. Strong understanding of various coaching techniques and a willingness to learn new methods of instruction. Must possess a valid driver's license.
About Washington and Lee University
Washington and Lee University, founded in 1749, is a highly selective, residential, co-educational, liberal arts university of 1838 students located in the beautiful Valley of Virginia. The University is a member of the Old Dominion Athletic Conference and NCAA Division III, sponsoring 24 varsity sports.