This is a full-time position within the Hobart and William Smith Athletics Departments. The Head Strength and Conditioning coach will be responsible for the design and implementation of year-round, sport-specific training programs for all 23 intercollegiate teams. This individual will supervise and mentor a full-time Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach as well as student workers. The Head Strength and Conditioning Coach must be able to effectively train large and small groups of athletes, motivate and instill competitiveness in athletes and have the ability to collaborate and compromise. In addition, the individual will be responsible for the overall development and management of the Raleigh-Foley-Kraus Varsity Strength Training Center (RFK) in Bristol Gymnasium. The individual must possess excellent leadership and communication skills.
* Consult with head coaches to determine team and individual strength, fitness and conditioning needs.
* Design and implement sport-specific training programs for teams. Emphasis of programming on injury prevention and performance enhancement of student-athletes.
* Design and implement sport-specific speed and agility programs.
* Implement appropriate pre- and post-season testing methods to assess fitness levels of athletes.
* Demonstrate and monitor proper technique in a variety of exercises that will be utilized in the strength and conditioning program, including but not limited to, Olympic lifts, strength and power training, speed/movement skills, flexibility and conditioning.
* Collaborate with the HWS sports medicine staff to develop and implement injury prevention programs and accommodate injured student-athletes to facilitate return to play.
* Supervise and mentor a full-time assistant strength and conditioning coach as well as student work study staff.
* Assist in the education of student-athletes on proper nutrition, sleep, recovery and other healthy living aspects.
* Maintain an environment in RFK that is marked by the highest priority on safety, attention to detail, respect, commitment, professionalism and teamwork.
* Oversee the general maintenance of RFK to ensure it is both safe and impressive for current and prospective HWS student-athletes.
* Work in compliance with the rules and regulations of the NCAA, Liberty League and other relevant governing bodies as they pertain to strength and conditioning legislation.
* Be supportive of the HWS Associate Athletic Director for Compliance and fully engaged in the HWS compliance education program for athletics.
* Research and remain current on developments in the strength and conditioning field.
* Have a willingness to learn and improve as a strength and conditioning professional.
* Available to work a flexible schedule involving early mornings, evenings and/or weekends as needed.
This is a full-time, 10-month, benefits-eligible, administrative position. Early morning, evening and weekend work are required. This position description is not all-inclusive as other tasks or responsibilities may be assigned.
Master’s degree in Exercise Science, Human Performance or related field required.
Applicants must hold a nationally recognized strength and conditioning certification (e.g. NSCA-CSCS), as well as CPR/AED/First Aid Certification.
At least four years of experience as a strength and conditioning coach or professional fitness trainer is required.
The successful candidate must demonstrate an ability to teach, lead and counsel college student-athletes.
The Strength and Conditioning Coach will be a person of integrity, high ethical standards, have excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills as well as organizational skills.
The Strength and Conditioning Coach must know and comply with NCAA Division I and Division III rules related to strength and conditioning.
About Hobart and William Smith Colleges
Located on 320 acres in the heart of New York State's Finger Lakes Region, Hobart and William Smith are independent liberal arts colleges distinctive for providing highly individualized educations. Guided by a curriculum grounded in exploration and rigor, the Colleges prepare students to think critically. In partnership with the Geneva and global communities and through robust programs in career development, study-abroad, service, leadership and athletics, the Colleges foster an environment that values global citizenship, teamwork, ethics, inclusive excellence and cultural competence.Under the mentorship of faculty, Hobart and William Smith students gain the necessary clarity to be competitive when seeking employment. They win prestigious fellowships like the Rhodes, Gates Cambridge, Udall, Fulbright and Goldwater. They gain admittance to the best graduate programs in the country. They go on to lead lives of consequence.