Northern Kentucky University, a member of the Horizon League, is seeking applicants for the position of Athletics Business Manager. Reporting to the Senior Associate Athletics Director for Business and Finance, the Athletics Business Manager will be responsible for the daily management of all Department of Athletics accounts (institutional and foundation).
The Athletics Business Manager will assure all fiscal activities are conducted within the policies of the University, Horizon League, NCAA and laws of the Commonwealth of Kentucky.
Compliance with NCAA rules is of the utmost importance at Northern Kentucky University. As a member of the athletics department staff it is expected that the Athletics Business Manager will have a full understanding of the NCAA rules that pertain to the position.
It is also expected that the Athletics Business Manager will comply with all NCAA rules and if he/she becomes aware, or have reasonable cause to believe, that a violation of a rule has occurred he/she will immediately report it to the Director of Athletics or his/her designee.
Regular Duties Performed Daily or Almost Daily:
1. Assist in the management all Department of Athletics accounts (institutional and foundation) on a daily basis. Assure all fiscal activities are conducted with the policies of the University, Horizon League, NCAA and laws of the Commonwealth of Kentucky.
2. Maintain a high quality filing system of financial records. Filing system must be organized and contain documentation that maintains an audit trail for revenues and expenses. System must be developed in a manner that allows for ease of destruction of documents as determined by Records Retention policy.
3. Develop and implement a procedure for processing of travel expense reports for individual and team travel. Procedure must assure expenses are processed in an efficient and timely manner. Review and audit all travel documents and assure all expenditures are accounted for and adhere to the policies of the University, as well as the rules and regulations of the Horizon League and NCAA. Keep informed of appropriate travel related policies.
4. Assist with procurement of goods and services, including securing bids/quotes and development of Request for Proposal documents. Process Purchase Requisitions and authorize payment of invoices. Process new vendor setup forms as needed. Research and respond to questions and/or concerns from vendors in a timely manner.
5. Assist with the coordination of apparel and equipment orders from the Department of Athletics apparel partner (currently adidas).
6. Prepare Internal Billing forms as needed.
7. Process recodes as needed.
8. Process PVI’s on an as needed basis.
9. Process Travel Advance requests as needed.
10. Prepare deposit reports for Department of Athletics University and Foundation accounts. Ensure funds are deposited in a timely manner. Reconcile deposits on a monthly basis.
11. Reconcile all of the Department of Athletics university and foundation accounts on a monthly basis.
12. Process budget transfers for the Department of Athletics university accounts as directed by the Senior Associate Athletic Director for Business and Finance.
13. Serve as the procurement card coordinator for the Department of Athletics. Prepare necessary forms to have new employees set up with a procurement card. Ensure proper training is completed prior to issuing of p-card. Reconcile and code procurement card expenses on a weekly basis. Review and audit all charges and assure they were made in accordance to the policies of the University, as well as the rules and regulations of the Horizon League and NCAA. Print monthly transaction reports and obtain necessary signatures. Assure all receipts and reports are filed in an orderly fashion. Provide refresher training to all Department of Athletics staff on annual basis.
14. Process payments to officials for all home events. Develop and implement procedure for obtaining necessary documentation from officials assigned to work events. Procedure must maintain confidentiality of personally identifiable information.
15. Develop and implement a recordkeeping system for personnel files that maintains confidentiality of personally identifiable information.
16. Process required paperwork for hiring of new staff (full-time, part-time, temporary, students) including Letters of Offer, Employment Contracts, PAR’s and new hire forms. Process paperwork for terminating appointments upon an employee’s resignation or termination. Procedure must maintain confidentiality of personally identifiable information.
17. Oversee time management and assure all time is approved prior to deadline for each pay period. Work with the Human Resource Office to ensure the proper workflow is set up in SAP for time approval.
18. Prepare financial reports as directed by the Senior Associate Athletic Director for Business and Finance.
19. Maintain superior knowledge of report creation in Business Warehouse.
20. Serve as a resource person on department and university policies and procedures. Keep informed of any policy updates and/or changes.
21. Evaluate on a daily basis how to improve process and procedures to increase efficiency, timeliness and accuracy of the Athletics Business Office operations.
Minimum Qualifications: - Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business or relevant field - Understanding of accounting principles - Strong analytical skills - Attention to detail - Experience with Microsoft Office products, including development of advanced spreadsheets
Preferred Qualifications: - Experience with SAP - Experience in college athletics - Understanding of NCAA rules
About Northern Kentucky University
Northern Kentucky University is a growing metropolitan university of approximately 15,000 students served by more than 2,000 faculty and staff on a thriving suburban campus near Cincinnati. Located in the quiet suburb of Highland Heights, Kentucky, just seven miles southeast of Cincinnati, NKU has become a leader in the Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky region by providing a private school education for a fraction of the cost. While we are one of the fastest growing universities in Kentucky, our professors still know our students’ names. In fall 2011, we celebrated the construction and opening of the $52.8 million and 110,000-square-foot Griffin Hall, home of NKU’s College of Informatics. In 2008, we opened our $37 million, 144,000-square-foot student union building, as well as the BB&T Arena, a $60 million, 9,400-seat arena for basketball games and other events.
The 2016-17 academic year marked the first season NKU was eligible for participation in NCAA Championships after reclassifying to Division I. The Norse qualified for the NCAA Women's Soccer Championship and NCAA Men's Basketball Championship in 2016-17.