Willamette University invites applications for a part-time exempt position of Assistant Coach, Golf.The Assistant Coach will assist the Head Coach in all aspects of running Willamette University's men's and women's DIII NCAA golf programs. The assistant coach will help coach workouts, practices and competitions and work with player development. Other duties include administration of both the men’s and women’s team travel arrangements.The duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following functions, which are not listed in any particular order of importance or significance:Coaching: 65% •Instruct, teach and coach student-athletes during practices and competitions.•Serve as coach for one team when teams travel separately to competitions.•Assistant coach will be available to both the men’s and the women’s programs for individual coaching during practice hours and at times will be responsible for executing practice plans on their own.Administration: 35%•Assist in organizing and facilitating team travel. •Assist head coach with recruiting activities.•Assist with any other administrative duties as directed by the Head Coach.
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Minimum of 2 years as part of a coaching staff, or 2 years of college golf experience
• Basic knowledge of Google, Google Docs, and social media
• Knowledge of and adherence to University policies, particularly as they apply to student safety and hazing
• Ability to effectively communicate in English both orally and in writing, including the ability to communicate instructions pertaining to athletic matters in both a classroom and an athletic coaching setting.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to effectively interact with a wide variety of people in a manner that positively portrays the University and its programs, personnel, and philosophies
• Superior organizational skills
• Ability to set priorities and meet deadlines
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Thorough knowledge of and adherence to all applicable NCAA Div. III and Northwest Conference rules, policies, and procedures as they apply to the activities and programs within the incumbent’s designated sport
• Ability to work independently as well as establish and maintain working relationships with other staff, faculty, and students
• Must possess a current driver’s license valid in the state of Oregon and a driving record insurable by the University’s insurer
• Successful clearance of a criminal conviction record check
Additional Salary Information: The Assistant Coach will work part-time during the year. This position is an exempt position, .63FTE working 25 hours per week. This position is eligible for medical/dental insurance, prorated sick and vacation accruals, a contribution of 10% of gross base pay from the University in exchange for a mandatory contribution of 1% by the employee, and paid prorated holidays.
Willamette is a nationally renowned, highly selective private liberal arts university in Salem, Oregon and has become a national leader in sustainability and civic engagement. Willamette's NCAA Division III program is a member of the highly competitive Northwest Conference and offers 18 sports for men and women in which nearly one-quarter of the undergraduate student body participates.