Master's degree in Counseling Psychology or Clinical Psychology, Counseling, or Social Work; two (2) to four (4) years of experience in D-1 or with professional athletes; expertise in one or more of the following areas is required: experience with stress management, substance abuse and alcohol education, eating disorders, crisis management, depression, anxiety, grief, identity crisis and other psychological issues related to injury and rehabilitation in competitive athletes.
- PhD in Counseling Psychology or Clinical Psychology
- Advanced training in sport Psychology, such as Association for Applied Sport Psychology (AASP) certified by sport psychology consultant and be able to be licensed by the State of Mississippi
Certification or Licensure Requirements:
- Licensed as a psychologist or license-eligible in the State of Mississippi within six months of employment, or
- Licensed in the State of Mississippi as a counselor or social worker within six months to one year of employment.
- Licensure must be maintained as a condition of employment.
Knoweldge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of psychotherapy and clinical/counseling psychology.
- Knowledge of sport psychology and performance enhancement.
- Knowledge of rules governing the NCAA and SEC.
- Ensures all assigned tasks are in compliance with University, SEC, and NCAA rules.
- Knowledge of academic and psychological testing standards and principles.
- Personal qualities and skills that enable effective interaction with the sport medicine staff, athletic department, colleagues, administrators, faculty, and student-athletes.
- Commitment to diversity and demonstrated competency in multicultural counseling skills.
- Knowledge of and adherence to professional, legal, ethical, and professional standards endorsed by licensing professional organization.
- Ability to conceptualize, diagnose problems, and implement appropriate treatment solutions.
- Ability to make accurate judgments concerning the physical, emotional, and educational welfare of student-athletes.
- Ability to educate and present to the athletic department community a wide variety of psychological topics.
- Ability to present and represent Mississippi State University at local, national, and international conferences.
- Knowledge of community-based mental health resources.
- Strong work ethic.
- Ability to work evenings and weekend hours.
- Ability to travel.