For more information about our organization please visit https://www.dekalbcountyga.gov/ .
The purpose of this classification is to direct the overall operations, programs, services, staff and resources of the Recreation, Parks and Cultural Affairs Department.
- Supervises, directs, and evaluates assigned staff; develops and oversees employee work schedules to ensure adequate coverage and control; compiles and reviews timesheets; approves/processes employee concerns and problems and counsels or disciplines as appropriate;
- Organizes, prioritizes, and assigns work; prioritizes and schedules work activities in order to meet objectives; ensures that subordinates have the proper resources needed to complete the assigned work;
- Identifies departmental needs and obtains and allocates resources; and develops alternative funding proposals.
- Issues and obtains necessary equipment, materials and supplies and ensures their proper inventory, record keeping, repair and maintenance.
- Develops comprehensive, master plan for department; performs short and long range planning; develops and implements departmental operational policies and procedures; and ensures operations support master plan and comply with established policies, procedures, and related regulations.
- Establishes and maintains partnerships and effective working relationships with other departments, agencies, community groups, and professional organizations; and collaborates with parties to maximize resources.
- Visits park sites for project status review or equipment evaluation; directs construction, management and maintenance of department’s physical resources including parks, buildings, and other recreational facilities
- Oversees department’s capital improvement projects; assists with design for facilities; recommends selection of consulting firms; and negotiates and administers contracts with consultants, engineers, architects, or other service providers.
- Ensures department programs and services provide for safety and well-being of employees, program participants, and general public.
- Attends special functions and events; greets and meets with general public; and responds to inquiries and resolves complaints;
- Meets prospective contractors, professional service providers, and various citizen groups to give formal and informal presentations regarding department;