| Wheeling Jesuit University is seeking qualified applicants for Head Coach, Swimming & Aquatics Director. |
POSITION SUMMARY: Primarily and independently responsible to fulfill all position-specific requirements to create a viable NCAA D-II swimming program. Supervise all events and activities that involve the University pool, deck, and seating area; function as University liaison with all outside groups as directed by the Director of Athletics.
Head Coach Swimming:
- Primarily and independently train and prepare student athletes, teach sport-specific skills, tactics, and philosophy; schedule and direct practices; conduct sport-specific physical training and conditioning programs for student athletes both in-season and in the off-season.
- Primarily and independently supervise assistant coaches and graduate assistants per University policies; hire, train, direct, monitor, correct and appraise performance.
- Primarily and independently responsible for ensuring that current student athletes are making satisfactory academic progress; work with the Faculty Academic Representative, the Academic Coordinator, and the Registrar to monitor grades of individuals and the team, establish and coordinate study halls, provide mentors and tutors as needed and ensure all student athletes are academically eligible per NCAA and conference requirements and entered correctly into the NCAA Compliance Program.
- Primarily and independently accountable for scouting and recruiting future student athletes according to NCAA, conference, and University policies; assess athletic talent and academic performance of potential student athletes; determine who meets the athletic requirements of the swimming program and the University’s academic standards; coordinate scholarships per the University’s approved model.
- Primarily and independently responsible for the following activities in support of the swimming program:
- Assist with creation of program budget; monitor expenses and remain within budgeted parameters;
- Purchase uniforms and equipment through Athletic Administration;
- Coordinate pre-season medical exams for student-athletes through Athletic Training;
- Scout opponents and prepare game plans;
- Establish itineraries and make travel arrangements;
- Available during posted hours for consultation with members of the team.
- Assist the Sports Information Director (SID) in organization of sports information materials, i.e. media guides, press releases, etc., for the team; support SID in community public relations programs involving swimming.
- Represent the University in all activities pertaining to swimming.
- Other relevant duties may be assigned by the Director or designee.
- Primarily and independently responsible for ensuring that the pool meets NCAA specifications and that facility is in compliance with reasonable risk management practices and procedures.
- Primarily and independently responsible for coordinating daily checks of pool water quality as required by law with assigned Physical Plant Maintenance Technician and adjust as needed; enter work orders in Maintenance Work Order System to ensure all associated equipment is operating to maintain pool water quality.
- Primarily and independently responsible for interviewing, hiring, training, and scheduling life guards as required for meets, events, practices, and public open swim.
- Primarily and independently responsible for ensuring all equipment necessary to properly run a swim meet is functioning as required including, but not limited to, touch pads, timing equipment, associated computers, score boards, starting blocks, lane ropes, stop watches, etc. Enter Purchase Orders to replace as necessary and as budget permits.
- Primarily and independently responsible for directing external swim clubs and schools who desire the use of the University swim facilities through the events scheduling / facilities rental process; once a contract is approved, acts as liaison with club / school coach or associate to coordinate meets and practices in compliance with contract.
- Primarily and independently responsible for ensuring pool is open to the public as required and staffed for safe operations with certified lifeguards.
All applicants must provide the following:
- Letter of application outlining how qualifications and experience will enable the candidate to carry out the essential functions of the position and advance the Mission of Wheeling Jesuit University
- A current resume
- A list of references to include three (3) personal references and contacts at all prior places of employment listed on the resume
APPLICATION DEADLINE: April 17, 2017
WHEELING JESUIT IS A CATHOLIC, JESUIT INSTITUTION DEDICATED TO PROVIDING STUDENTS WITH AN EDUCATION FOR “LIFE, LEADERSHIP AND SERVICE.”
AS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER, WE ENCOURAGE APPLICATIONS FROM QUALIFIED VIETNAM ERA VETERANS, DISABLED INDIVIDUALS, MINORITIES, AND WOMEN
Wheeling Jesuit University does not discriminate in employment on account of race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, age, sex (including sexual harassment), sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, military status or status in any other protected group.