Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for providing leadership, management and administrative direction to intercollegiate athletic programs for men and women.
- Responsible for the administration, operation, maintenance, and control of all aspects of the University's Athletics program, including, but not limited to, the actions of independent agencies or organizations or of representatives of athletic interests, in a manner consistent with federal and state law, NCAA and SEC rules and regulations, IHL and University policy.
- Manages the division's personnel, develops and monitors budgets for each program, and is directly involved with University fund-raising activities and public relations.
- Represents the University at state, regional, conference, and NCAA events/committees as requested/appointed.
- Responsibilities include scheduling and contracting for athletic events, employment and direction of athletic coaches, publicity, ticket sales, and equipment and facilities maintenance.
- Encourages academic progress, in conjunction with the faculty and University, of student athletes toward graduation.
- Master's degree in a relevant field, or a Bachelor's degree and relevant experience at a level that equates to an advanced degree, is required.
- Must have experience as a senior athletic administrator at an NCAA member institution or possess senior corporate leadership experience, including a minimum of five years of experience in financial administration, fund-raising, games operations, facility management, human resources policy, and public relations within a major athletic conference or corporate environment.
- Must have experience in implementing programs in full compliance with NCAA regulations, experience in fund-raising, public relations, or marketing and promotions.
- A demonstrated understanding and appreciation of the role of NCAA athletics in the context of an academic environment, emphasizing the importance of the scholarly growth and development of athletes is required.
- Must possess excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills and a capacity to develop a strong and inclusive leadership team.
- The highest level of personal integrity and ethical standards, including a commitment to and compliance with NCAA and conference rules is required.
- The ability to develop and implement innovative approaches for revenue development in athletics is a must, as is the ability to conduct long-range strategic, financial, and facility planning and budgeting on behalf of the division.
- Must have a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with senior University administration and other relevant University divisions, and to communicate effectively with and command respect of coaches, student-athletes, and other internal athletic constituencies, across all intercollegiate sports.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with media, alumni, donors, boosters, and other external constituencies.
- Must possess credentials appropriate for an institution of higher education.
Applications and Nominations
Mississippi State University invites applications and nominations or expressions of interest to be submitted to the search firm assisting the University. Applications must include a cover letter, curriculum vita/ résumé, and a list of at least three references. For full consideration, materials should be submitted via Parker Executive Search’s website. Confidential review of application materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. For additional information, please contact:
Daniel Parker, Vice President and Managing Director
Jaleesa Rhoden, Associate
Hayden Garrett, Associate
Parker Executive Search
770.804.1996 ext. 116
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.