Associate Athletic Director, Communications and Digital Strategy
The University of Delaware
The Associate Athletic Director, Communications and Digital Strategy is responsible for developing, managing and growing a strategic, innovative and comprehensive external communications strategy. The Associate Athletic Director advances the team through direction of activities that promote, enhance, and protect the University of Delaware and its Athletic Department through a variety of distribution channels including interpersonal relationships, digital platforms, technologies and mobile applications. The Associate Athletic Director will represent the department during key internal and external meetings when needed and will serve as department spokesperson as applicable.
The Director will oversee communications and multimedia teams that are responsible for activities that affect a variety of external media and stakeholders. The team has a range of responsibilities which include video content, writing, editing, social media, digital marketing, web management, data interpretation, archiving, event management, proactive media pitching and the facilitation of interview requests.
Team Management (35%)
- Builds and manages a high functioning, data-driven and forward-looking team, providing team members with clear roles, responsibilities, and support in order to help them be successful.
- Uses data and searchable analytics to strategically think about content, platforms, audiences, time and user experience.
- Serves as a member of the external relations leadership team to promote a culture of growth and learning.
- Monitors and analyzes communications, digital media trends and technological advancements, and their resulting impact on the overarching communications plan. Participates in peer networking opportunities, professional education opportunities and monitoring trade publications and websites.
- Champions department initiatives and drive enthusiasm and professionalism among a large and diverse staff with complimentary skillsets and experiences
- Schedules regular meetings with staff to manage, advise and teach on department processes
- Summarizes and reports on all external communications activities among key constituents within the athletic department and university.
- Serves as a liaison to the University Communication and Public Affairs Office, supporting University initiatives and messaging, building relationships and delivering expertise around athletics processes and practices.
- Manage budgets, billings and payrolls on behalf of communications department.
- Provide exemplary customer service to internal and external constituencies, including the Athletic Director email.
Digital Execution (25%)
- Responsible for setting the overall social media engagement strategy across varsity teams; this is inclusive of but not limited to social media planning and integration across Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and emerging platforms and technologies
- Responsible for overseeing the coordination of the delivery of integrated email communication across a high volume of sports; oversee day-to-day execution of email marketing campaigns, including production, asset delivery, QA, and deployment.
- Create, execute and evaluate a strategy that optimizes and directs internet presences for athletics including BlueHens.com.
- Serve as subject matter expert on digital platforms, trends, and tech applications, educating internal and external partners as to best practices and recommendations.
- Develop tv/streaming strategy, as well as ensuring the syndication of content across audiences and media outlets.
- Oversees implementation and tracking of online and social media advertisement and partnership campaigns.
- Oversee digital execution and ideation of shared messaging which supports revenue development in ticketing, partnership, merchandise and development initiatives.
Strategic External Communications (25%)
- Oversee the creation and adherence of external communications policies and procedures including but not limited to; crisis communication, interview requests, social media etc.
- Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations, official responses and other supporting material as needed.
- Serves the Senior Associate Athletic Director for Development, Senior Associate Athletic Director for External Relations and the Athletic Director as needed in the preparation of personal communications and media relations.
- Identify challenges and emerging issues and work with the leadership team to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- In partnership with the external relations leadership team, ensure key messages and brand attributes are aligned within all marketing, sponsorship, ticketing activities and communications initiatives.
- Demonstrate positive working relationships with local, regional and national media covering Delaware Athletics through interpersonal communications, email, mobile and use of program and personal social media platforms. Leverages personal social accounts to engage with individuals, and ultimately, influence the coverage of our programs
- Proactively communicate and solicit local, regional and national media coverage for events and feature stories on Delaware athletes, teams, and other department milestones/accomplishments of interest using messaging pillars, brand truths and key messaging points.
- Promote the academic and athletic accomplishments of our programs as well as the community, educational, promotional, partnership, ticketing and development-related initiatives of the Athletic Department with targeted approaches to appropriate audience segments, including prospective student-athletes.
- Provide programs and administration with weekly messaging reports, incorporating relevant news, talking points, social media insights and examples of key messaging
- Write and edit various department communication materials, press releases and advisories for the department's digital platforms with a focus on message delivery, user experience, time on website/ length of content and platform appropriateness.
- Direct media coverage for championship and special events. Oversee credentialing process.
- Team travel with selected sports as necessitated by media and strategic needs.
Proactive and Cross-Functional Collaboration with External Relations and Programs (15%)
- Lead proactive and beneficial collaborations within the athletic department including External Relations units, coaches, administrators, students, community and academic and administrative areas
- Proactive liaison on behalf of External Communications to the Strategic Engagement and Events, Partnerships, Ticketing and Development teams.
- Build relationships across campus to research and create opportunities for a seamless constituent experience
- Inform and educate athletes, coaches, administrators, other athletic department constituencies and University constituents on effective methods of media interaction, and personal and program use of social networking platforms
- Learn and adopt new technology, tools, platforms, programs that Delaware will use to communicate and engage with audiences how, where and when they need to consume information. Uses knowledge to serve as an institutional expert and to train internal audiences and peers on best practices.
- •Collaborate with team members to create and execute a holistic, 365-day coverage plan for assigned and secondary sports, and initiatives.
- Collaborate with others to lead proactive relationships in the University, athletic department, CAA and NCAA, among others.
- Oversee all online initiatives, redesign efforts and other large-scale projects.
- Direct reports include: Assistant Director of Athletics for Media Relations, Assistant Director of Athletics for Multimedia
- Supervises: Media Relations Staff, Multimedia Staff
- Team travel with selected sports as necessitated by media and strategic needs. Travel to conferences, workshops and other professional development events as a representative of the athletic department as needed.
Please note this job description is not designated to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- Four to five years of relevant work experience in major professional, collegiate athletic departments or comparatively complex organizations
- Confidence and familiarity working with graphic design and web technologies including Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop; proficiency in using web content creation and management tools, including web-based content management systems.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or related field. Advance degree preferred.
- Exceptional ability to work in a networked way, emphasizing collaboration in a complex environment
- Proven success in operating within large, complex organizations and to relate with and understand constituents outside the immediate department
- Outstanding organizational, communication, writing, interpersonal and analytical skills in a fast-paced environment with the ability to initiate, analyze, monitor, evaluate and advance strategic plans and programs
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously along difficult timelines
- Ability to work independently and to exercise judgment and discretion
- Proven ability to learn quickly, work efficiently in a fast paced environment and to skillfully distill/synthesize emerging information to senior level staff
- Experience leading staff as a direct supervisor and ability to work as a leader of a high performing team
- High level and in-depth knowledge of the digital and social landscapes; must be active in social media
- High level of personal integrity and ethics
- Ability to work extended stretches, both within a day and over several consecutive days and an ability to manage time and balance projects and special events
- Passion for intercollegiate athletics and an intuitive sense of trends in marketplace
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with a high level of energy, charisma, enthusiasm, creativity and to be professional, yet able to have fun in the work place
- Demonstrated experience in performing job duties that require strenuous physical activity, including the climbing of steps and moving of heavy boxes and equipment
For a complete list of requirements and job duties and to apply online, please visit the UDJOBS website at www.udel.edu/udjobs Job ID 103979
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from minority group members, women, individuals with a disability and veterans. The University's Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.html. Employment offers will be conditioned upon successful completion of a criminal background check. A conviction will not necessarily exclude you from employment.