| Position Summary: |
The Director of Intercollegiate Athletics at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville is responsible to the Chancellor for developing and supervising a representative athletic program guided by the University mission and vision statement. The athletic director will oversee a 16-sport department that competes in the best National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division III conference in the country, the highly-competitive Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (WIAC). Resource development is critical to the success of the mission of the university, and the athletic director will work in close collaboration with relevant university offices.
- Direct and supervise the administration of the men’s and women’s athletic programs and provide oversight of all administrative, compliance, operational and business functions in accordance with the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (WIAC), and University institutional policies and procedures.
- Encourage and create an atmosphere of sportsmanship, professionalism, and respect among staff, coaches and student athletes while maintaining a competitive program.
- Promote a competitive athletic atmosphere consistent with NCAA Division III philosophy.
- Serve on Chancellor’s leadership team, attend meetings and serve at the pleasure of the Chancellor.
- Plan and oversee all fundraising and development activities for athletics, including charitable gifts from alumni, friends, corporations, and foundations, in coordination with the UWP Foundation.
- Organize, direct, and participate in activities that will promote a positive public image for the University on campus, as well as locally, regionally and nationally.
- Work with the University Communications to market and promote the athletic program.
- Collaborate with university services to support the social, physical, emotional, and intellectual development of student athletes.
- Encourage and recognize student success in service, the classroom and in competition.
- Support the Higher Learning Commission [HLC] accreditation process, as required.
- Ensures that all department members have full knowledge of and abide by the rules and regulations of the University, the NCAA and the WIAC.
- Develop and maintain departmental policies and procedures including the preparation of department manual, necessary to effectively manage the University athletic program.
- Approve all conference and non-conference schedules.
- Develop long range administrative, operational, compliance and athletic plans consistent within Division III programs.
- Serve on University NCAA and/or WIAC committees, as appropriate.
- Serve as liaison for WIAC sport committees.
- Oversight and supervision of facilities and maintenance for sporting and athletic related environments.
- Develop and supervise annual operating budgets and when necessary, have appropriate signature authority for same, including payroll for applicable athletic employees.
- Actively recruit, direct, co-evaluate, and make recommendations for all staffing personnel, with a commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusivity.
- Delegate responsibilities to assure efficient and productive operations of all administrative and athletic activities.