Assistant Director – Student Services & Leadership
The University of Delaware
Under the limited direction of the Senior Associate Athletic Director for Student Services & Sport Administration/S W A, the Assistant Director for Student Services and Leadership will be responsible for all programming and curriculum development for the four-year student success model within UD Athletics and Recreation Services. Working in collaboration with the Student Life staff, the Assistant Director will lead the creation, execution and metrics of success for programming over the 4 year experiences for our varsity student-athletes and students participating in club sports and intramural programs. This includes but is not limited to: academics, leadership development, community service, career services, life skills and compliance. The Assistant Director will also serve as the primary advisor for the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC).
The Assistant Director is responsible for fostering a commitment to diversity and inclusiveness throughout all levels of the organization, including but not limited to, staffing, programming and education.
Interactions are extensive, both within and outside the department, including Senior University Administration (e.g., President, Provost, EVP, VP & General Counsel, etc.), all units and leadership within the Division of Student Life, Board of Trustees, University offices of the Registrar, Student Financial Services and Admissions, all members of Athletics and Recreation Services, institutional representatives from visiting institutions, outside group representatives, parents, alumni, fans and general public.
- Manages the advisory team for SAAC.
- Summarizes and reports on all team engagement opportunities and activities.
- Drives a culture of analytics to pursue continuous improvement in all responsible areas.
- Develops and manages a budget.
- Proactively builds and maintains positive and collaborative working relationships with colleagues across campus to enhance the Athletic Department brand and the University of Delaware mission.
- Develops a collaborative team for planning and curriculum management between Athletics & Recreation Services and the Division of Student Life to ensure partnering opportunities are maximized.
- Regularly involved in communications with Sr. Associate AD/ S W A and Director of Player Development on student-athlete concerns, risk scenarios, and other events that require additional education and counseling for varsity athletes or recreation services participants.
- Proactively maintains knowledge of current trends in the areas of responsibility:
o Participating in peer networking opportunities
o Participating in professional education opportunities
o Monitoring trade publications and websites
Student Services Programming
- Working in collaboration with Student Life staff to develop, implement and evaluate all programming specific to the 4-year student-athlete experience specific to careers, counseling, student wellness, community engagement, etc.
- Working in collaboration with Student Life and the Director of Recreation Services, develop, implement and evaluate appropriate programs for students participating in recreational sports.
- Responsible for the developing, coordinating, and evaluating of all community involvement and service opportunities for student-athletes and students participating with recreational services.
- Working in partnership with Student Life create, develop and evaluate new student orientation and transition programming for all new student athletes, including mentorship opportunities.
- Work in partnership with Coaches, Leadership Team members and University Partners in the effective implementation of freshman orientation, freshman seminar, and other athletic related curriculum.
- Community Service planning, strategy, and collaboration with University initiatives and partnerships.
- In partnership with the Senior Associate Athletic Director/S W A, develop annual student-athlete programming and educational curriculum to include and address –
o Drugs & Liquor
o Mental Health
o Life Skills
o New Students transition/orientation
o Graduating students transition
o Diversity and inclusion
- Collaboration and annual assessment for alignment with Blue Hen Leadership Program programming, success, and celebration opportunities.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree, Master’s degree preferred in sports management or related field and at least three to five years of experience.
- Experience as a student-athlete and/or coach preferred.
- Experience working with Varsity Athletics.
- Knowledge of rules and regulations governing intercollegiate athletics as well as knowledge of overall Student-Athlete experience.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Experience in planning and executing large interactive events.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
- Ability to supervise and train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Employee development and performance management skills.
For a complete list of requirements and job duties and to apply online, please visit the UDJOBS website at www.udel.edu/udjobs Job ID 103954
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from minority group members, women, individuals with a disability and veterans. The University's Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.html. Employment offers will be conditioned upon successful completion of a criminal background check. A conviction will not necessarily exclude you from employment.