Operations, Operations - Administrative Support, Operations - Business Office
4 Year Degree
The Assistant Director of Business Operations reports to the Associate Athletic Director for Business and is responsible for administering operational, financial, & business functions in support of the Department of Athletics mission. In addition, the Assistant Director of Business Operations implements existing policy & ensures the effective, compliant, & efficient completion of daily administrative operations.
Budget & Financial:
- Monitors open encumbrances & deficit chart strings.
- Reviews & reconciles actual expenses to budget per NU Audit guidelines.
- Ensures prompt payment of purchase order requests, vendor and contracted services payments, reimbursements, and other accounting transactions; researches errors/delayed transactions as needed.
- Prepare various accounting and financial reports. Creates spreadsheets, reports, charts, etc. based on information compiled from various sources. Determines format, elements, trends, etc.
- Review, copy, and file revenue deposits and journals.
- Create and reconcile cash advances for team travel.
- Assist with reconciling travel agency billing each month.
- Serve as liaison with Financial Operations to track, monitor, maintain, and dispose of capital equipment.
Communications & Outreach:
- Confirm ticketing and travel arrangements with the Department’s travel management company, Anthony Travel.
- Process Athletic Department orders for office supplies in iBuyNU; maintain office stock supply levels.
- Maintain and file all Business Office paperwork including expense reports, vouchers, purchase orders, reimbursements, cash advances, air travel, etc.
- Assist with ordering business cards and other stationary needs.
- Assist with booking lodging arrangements for recruits, job applicants, VIPs and athletic event officials.
- Serve as the liaison with the Department’s photocopier vendor and as the main contact within the Department for all day-to-day copier-related issues.
- Maintain excellent working relationships with area hotel staffs to facilitate the ability of these properties to meet all department needs in this area and to encourage sponsorships/trade agreements.
- Provide excellent customer service in-person, by phone and by e-mail to coaches, staff, and other constituents.
- Train new employees in University financial system, as well as correct use of forms for travel and purchasing. Assists in balancing accounts at close of fiscal year.
- Instruct and advise coaches and staff on appropriate courses of action in regards to inquiries concurrent with University policies and procedures, as well as NCAA rules and regulations. Follow through on coaches and staff requests and discuss appropriate actions with supervisor, as needed.
- Provide technical support for coaches and staff with computers and University financial system.
- Maintain working relationships with other University accounting and budgeting departments such as Accounts Payable, the Bursar’s Office, Accounting Services, Financial Systems and Purchasing.
- Responsible for adhering to all Department and University policies and procedures, as well as the rules, regulations, bylaws and interpretations of the Big Ten Conference and the NCAA.
- Other duties as assigned.
Working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs.
General computer knowledge and the ability to quickly learn new applications.
Ability to successfully handle a variety of tasks, prioritize and complete an often heavy workload.
Demonstrated customer focus.
Excellent and effective written and oral communication skills.
Understanding of accounting concepts, including processing, tracking and reconciliation; strong analytical skills.
Ability to meet deadlines and work independently.
Must be able to demonstrate initiative and attention to detail.
One year administrative experience including budgets, finance, grants, facilities, and/or human resources; or other relevant experience.
Valid driver’s license
Experience in collegiate athletics as a participant, coach, or administration preferred.
Knowledge of NCAA, Big Ten Conference, University and Department rules and guidelines preferred.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.
The Northwestern CommunityNorthwestern University is a major private research university with 12 academic divisions located on three campuses in Evanston, Chicago, and Education City in Doha, Qatar. We have approximately 2,500 full-time faculty members, 17,000 graduate and undergraduate students, and over 5,700 full and part-time staff.Faculty members include Tony Award winners, MacArthur Fellowsh...ip recipients and members of numerous honorary and professional societies, National Academy of Engineering, American Academy of Arts and Sciences and American Council of Learned Societies.Research thrives at Northwestern University. Interdisciplinary teams at Northwestern work to solve society's problems and facilitate clinical and commercial use of their innovations with partners at Argonne National Laboratory, Fermilab, and local universities.Beyond being a dynamic learning organization, Northwestern employs a dynamic and diverse mix of faculty and staff who work proactively to ensure that the University is a special place to work. Northwestern is committed to the recruitment of a diverse faculty, staff and student body, fostering a climate that treasures differences and provides rich opportunities for learning.To that end, Northwestern University actively seeks women, minorities, veterans, and disabled persons for employment and promotion throughout the University.The Northwestern Work EnvironmentOur two main campuses are situated along Lake Michigan’s lakefront. The Chicago campus, located between the Magnificent Mile and Lake Michigan, offers outstanding views and is within walking distance of some of the city’s main attractions.The Evanston campus, just 12 miles north of downtown Chicago, sits among charming residential neighborhoods, parks, beaches, and bike trails.At our newest campus, in the architecturally significant Education City in Doha, Qatar, the University offers undergraduate programs in partnership with the Qatar Foundation. To learn more about our Qatar campus, visit http://www.qatar.northwestern.edu/.The Northwestern Employment PossibilitiesWe have full and part-time staff positions available in a variety of roles.Job areas we frequently recruit for include:Office and School AdministrationInformation TechnologyHealthcare and ResearchAccounting and FinanceFacilities ManagementProfessional: Entry, Mid-level and ManagementLaw Enforcement and SecurityNorthwestern University also operates its own Temporary Center. Whether you are a first-time or transitional job seeker, college graduate, graduate student, experienced professional or retiree, we have a variety of temporary positions such as: Office Assistant, Accounting/Financial Assistant, Executive Assistant as well as various other administrative, professional and contract positions. To learn more about our temporary employment, visit our Temporary Center.The Northwestern BenefitsNorthwestern offers many benefit options to full and part-time employees including:Competitive compensationComprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverageTuition reimbursementPre-tax transit optionsProfessional development opportunitiesVacation, sick, and holiday payExcellent retirement plansWork/Life balance and resourcesDependent care matchFaculty-Staff Assistance ProgramWe also provide employees with access to an abundance of recreational, cultural, and enrichment opportunities that take place on and off campus.For more information on benefits and perks offered by Northwestern, visit the Benefits section.