Operations, Operations - Marketing/Promotions, Operations - Sports Information
4 Year Degree
James Madison University, a Division I member of the NCAA and Colonial Athletic Association, is seeking a Director of Digital and Social Media. The Director of Digital and Social Media resides within the athletics communications unit and reports to the Assistant A.D. for Communications but collaborates closely with all areas of athletics external operations, including marketing, ticketing, development and corporate sponsorship. The Director of Digital and Social Media directs departmental social media activity across all platforms, drives departmental email marketing and messaging and contributes to strategy for major departmental communications initiatives.
This position serves a critical role in JMU’s digital-first communications approach in a collaborative work setting. The successful candidate will serve as the “voice” of JMU Sports social media across current platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat) with a constant eye on emerging platforms and growth opportunities while ensuring JMU’s relevance in the digital space of college athletics and appealing to all constituent groups. This person will establish a comprehensive content calendar as part of key communications and external operations initiatives while delivering content concentrating on strategic messages, departmental vision, visual appeal and customer engagement.
Other duties related to social media include: consulting oversight of all departmental accounts, including sport program accounts and other units within athletics; observation of all department employee and student-athlete social media activity to ensure alignment with Athletics guiding principles; social media training to educate student-athletes on best practices; analytics to measure account activity and drive social direction; maintain a database of social media departmental accounts, including passwords and user access; research trends in social media and digital communications for sports and other relevant public or corporate entities to maintain JMU’s status as a forward-thinking organization; collaborate with other campus social media content curators to ensure consistent messaging among university representatives and consult on opportunities to expand message reach.
The successful candidate also directs and strategizes all email messaging to constituents for the department. This requires close collaboration with other areas of external operations to maintain a comprehensive email calendar across all target groups while working with multiple email owners to execute schedule and collect all relevant data. Email marketing is executed via the Adobe Marketing Cloud interface. Works with ticketing, marketing and Duke Club to maintain accurate email databases and ensure confidentiality of customer information. Email role requires frequent attendance at unit meetings within all areas of external operations and works closely with marketing and ticketing on key customer initiatives.
Other functions of the position include: graphic design for social media and email content as well as collaboration on other unit design needs; coordination with director of video content on key video initiatives to support digital and social content delivery; serve on external operations directors team; consult on design and upkeep of JMUSports.com to ensure consistency with social and email design concepts and overall content strategy; collaborate on the research, procurement and implementation of present and emerging technologies that can enhance JMU Athletics’ outreach and engagement.
Qualifications include but are not limited to:
- Successful candidate must excel in a collaborative setting, reporting to and working with multiple individuals.
- Previous experience managing official social media accounts for an organization with priority to sports and/or campus settings. Experience as a page administrator on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat preferred, as well as experience providing live content across same platforms.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc.), video editing (preferably Premier/After Effects), email marketing platforms (preferably Adobe Marketing Cloud), web design (HTML, script, etc.), social analytics and Google web analytics.
- Positive and proactive work approach with ability to work both independently to manage a heavy workload of deliverables while also collaborating with various department units to strategize content calendars for key social and email messaging.
- Bachelor’s degree in media art, graphic design, communications, public relations or another related field is required.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Experience with web editing and email marketing back-end user software.
- Experience in brand marketing or athletics marketing.
- Knowledge of and interest in Collegiate Athletics.
- Detail-oriented, forward-thinking and successful at planning and organizing.
- Strong creative design skills.
To apply visit http://joblink.jmu.edu/postings/2364 or go to JobLink.jmu.edu and reference posting number F1064. This is a full-time position with benefits. Salary is commensurate with experience. Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background check.
James Madison University is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status. Anyone having questions concerning discrimination should contact the Office for Equal Opportunity: (540) 568-6991.