Assists the Associate Athletics Director with coordinating programs to ensure compliance with all University, Southland Conference and NCAA rules and regulations governing the intercollegiate athletics operations, with a primary focus on academics for student-athletes. Strict adherence to established NCAA, Southland Conference, Texas State University System and Lamar University rules and regulations. A violation of these rules and regulations can lead to disciplinary action including termination.
Examples of work performed: 1. Advises and assists student-athletes in selecting major course of study, selecting courses, changing majors, adding and dropping class, and developing effective study habits.
2. Monitors students’ degree plans; evaluates grade transcripts and maintains academic records; monitors class attendance and student progress
3. Monitors academic eligibility compliance with NCAA, Southland Conference, and Lamar University policies.
4. Maintains records on student-athletes.
5. Assists the Associate Athletics Director with data input and updating of academic information using the NCAA Compliance Assistant Software.
6. Assists the Associate Athletics Director with the review of transcripts and eligibility requirements for prospective student-athletes.
7. Compiles necessary documentation for academic eligibility each semester.
8. Recognizes and promotes the best interest of the student-athletes both academically and athletically – encouraging each to graduate.
9. Assists the Associate Athletics Director and Coaches in the process of recruiting prospective student-athletes.
1-2 years athletic academic advising experience with the sport of football preferred Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite required Knowledge of NCAA rules required; Strict adherence to established NCAA, Southland Conference, Texas State University System and Lamar University rules and regulations. A violation of these rules and regulations can lead to disciplinary action including termination.
Reports Directly to the: Associate Athletics Director
Located in Beaumont, Texas, Lamar University is 80 miles from Houston, 40 miles from the Gulf Coast beaches, 30 miles from Louisiana, and 70 miles from the Texas lakes region. The area's subtropical climate produces mild winters that allow for year-round outdoor activity. Lamar University is unique in that it enjoys close ties with the greater community. Students experience direct involvement in the city's civic, business and cultural opportunities.